1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling mounting, where do I start ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    OK, ready to ceiling mount the PJ this week or next, but I haven't a clue what to do....!

Can someone please advise me.

Not sure on what zoom etc is reuired. Do I put it a max, min, middle ??

Does the flipped Pj need to be in line with the top of the viewable image?

Power leads and component leads will be routed via the attic, so not a problem there.

Thanks in advance,

Captain Benefit.

2. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Captain,

I am just about to do the same thing and don't know where to start:confused:
    I was told that on the AE300 that the lens must be in the centre of the screen horizontally and just down from the top so you dont have to use the keystone thing

I am either going to a mount made from a speaker bracket or send for one from LMP. http://www.lmp-pc.co.uk/mount.shtml

I too am going up into the loft so no carpet or floorboards to worry about:clap:

Let me know how you get on

Ghidorah:smashin:

3. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there are at least 3 of us who don't know where to start with ceiling mounting!

I've gone for one of the LMP mounts. Should be with me in a few days.

Holes in the ceiling here we come :(

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    make that 4 of us who haven't got a clue where to start:eek:

mines shall be going in the living room but as i have laminate flooring on all of second storey rooms i think i'm farting against thunder a little. all ideas considered:D

5. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Well I have a Unicol PSU ceiling mount which goes off into the ceiling and is mounted on a platform. It is slightly off center due to the position of the lens on the projector but it works just fine. Try to use the keystone stuff as little as possible cos it is actually messing with the original image (I think anyway from testing)

Hope this helps,

Chris Nightingale

Here have a look at my little webpage detailing the installation:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpmainpage.htm

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Guys,

Looks like you've got some interesting DIYing ahead.........

Some searching on the forum will tell you most of what you need to know, just to start you off take a look here for details on setting up your projector relative to you screen, and here for details on homemade mounts and how to attach your projector. I don't have the energy to type out the instructions again !!!!!

Adrenochrome,

I've got laminate in the room overhead my movie room also and you should use Rawlplug Heavyweight Interset Plasterboard Fixing (Rawlplug Part No: 41-635) for attaching the mount to your ceiling. These gizmos consist of a fixing and a boltthat screws into them. You drill a hole in the ceiling, insert the fixing with the bolt inside it just as it comes out of the packet, tighten the bolt fully, which causes the fixing to fold up, gripping the plasterboard from the otherside. Unscrew the bolt, leaving the fixing in the ceiling and you've got a permanent fixing point in the ceiling. Take care in marking the location of the holes from the plate which you need to attach to the ceiling. The only downside is that they can't beeasilty removed from the ceiling, but you can sink them into the plaster and fill them at a later stage if you really have to.

Have fun,

Sean G.

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    cheers Sean i guess that'll be a job for next weekend as i've still to arrange a ceiling mount:(

regards

adrenochrome

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Adrenochrome,

You're welcome................... if you're up to a bit of DIY, you can make a mount yourself in short order - do a search on the forum, lots of examples about. Needn't take forever or cost a fortune.

A good number of members have given glowing reports of the LMP mount - LMP are Forum Sponsors, so check that out as an alternative.

Good luck,

Sean G.

9. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i to have the unicol mount, i just offered up the pj on the mount against the ceiling, got the image squared against the screen (using a 4:3 image squeezed into a 16:9 full image), marked the holes and screwed into a joist in the ceiling. the front and back screws went into wood joist and the left /right holes of the mount were secured using plasterboard screws. If you have a fairly new home, you shouldnt need the extending pole that comes with the mount. You might wanna postion your screen first and make sure its at the correct height. You want to make sure you use no keystone as well

10. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

If anybody is interested PM me your e-mail address and I will send a pic of the mount I made for my HS10.

I spent a lot of time getting the screen size and position just right so that no keystone correction was needed.

Having a look at the PJ position it looks like the top of the screen is level with the PJ lens but different PJ's may project at a slightly different angle than others so don't take this as gospel.

Klippie.