1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ceiling mounting video projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by davideb, Jan 27, 2004.

1. davideb

davideb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've recently purchased a hitachi illumina projector and wish to mount it on the ceiling. the gap between the ceiling and the floor above is greater than the height of the projector so i would like to mount it actually in the void. it could either come down on a vertical lift (not an expensive motorised one!) or on a hinged flap like a loft door. so that when not in use it wouldn't be visible. has anybody got any suggestions as to how i might do this, what brackets/mounts i could get, whether there would be problems of vibration from above etc. any advice very gratefully received

many thanks

david

2. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you mount it in the void and have it fire at a mirror?
    Most Corporate RP projection images are done in this way to save space in the projection room.

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Trouble with that is that the mirror would still need to be level with the top of the screen hence dangling from the ceiling which kind of defeats the object of hiding the pj.

Someone has done a diy arrangement using sissor hinges. I'll see if I can find a link.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, here is the thread in question. Check out scooter's impressive work on page 2.

hth

5. davideb

davideb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot - i see what you mean about the mirror idea - it would defeat the object if it stuck out. i like scooter's approach - that's just the kind of thing i was thinking of. do you think this would be solid enough not to have to reset the PJ every time? i want to be able to pull it down and then project stratight away without having to make minor adjustments balanced on a chair! also do you think it would cope with vibration from children running around and stamping upstairs?

thanks again

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I must admit that I'd be a little worried about stability too. Scooter pointed out he needed to put the scissor thing at the back to help stability, maybe a PM to him would reveal more info.

It would need some pretty acurate measuring and placing too if the pj in question didnt have a lens shift facility, although that applies to all mounts really.