Ceiling mounting threads on HD70

T

Tommy Angelo

I've decided to adapt my current (hideous, see link in sig) home made projector mount into a mount for the Optoma HD70 I have just ordered. I basically want to put screws through the wood and into the threads on the projector.

Are the threads the same on all projectors? On my AE500 they look very small.

Where is the best place to get the right size ones from an HD70? I guess I'll just end up taking a projector into B&Q and fiddling around with the screws till I find some that fit.

Thanks,

Andrew

Critters

Pop down to B&Q and look for M3 screws. You may also need some washers as the heads on the screws are smaller than the slots in some universal mounts. I know this as I brought a "universal" mount with my PJ only to find it had every screw except the ones the HD70 uses :|

Check this page on this thread for some info and photos:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400767&page=7

BTW, I'm pretty sure the size is M3, I can't remember and base that on a quick google and the post in that thread... to be sure check the owners manual which I believe tells you the exact type (m3) and length

RichKS

From the manual found online:

HD70 Manual said:
2. If you wish to use a third party ceiling mount kit, please ensure the screws used to attached a mount to the projector met the following specifications:
  • Screw type: M3
  • Maximum screw length: 10mm
  • Minimum screw length: 7.5mm

Just like Critters, I bought a 3rd party mount and used that. It actually did come with the right screws. But like he says, the heads of the screws were too small for the holes in the bracket. Fortunately the mount came with washers to make the screws fit into the bracket properly. Unfortunately, the washers were too big for the bracket. Fortunately, I got some at the hardware shop near my house which were perfect. Cost me a whole 10p.

T

Tommy Angelo

The staff in B&Q didn't seem sure about what M3 screws were but gave me 3mm wide 0.5mm thread screws. Are these the right ones? If not, what exactly does the "M" and "3" in M3 mean?

Critters

Don't know, they are the screws with no point and a uniform width along the whole thread.

T

Tommy Angelo

I did a search online for M3 screw and Maplin sell these screws with this description:

"For installing most floppy drives and CD-ROM drives
Head: Phillips
Thread: M3 "

Went and found an old floppy drive and my 3mm x 0.5mm screws screwed in perfectly. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom