1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling mounting a Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Underscore, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,

I should be installing my Z1 just after Xmas - no time to beforehand - but apparently it needs to be 1.35-1.6 times the screen-width away - which, given my screen's measely 5' width, means I won't be able to screw the Unicol mount directly into a joist. The house construction makes installing a noggin above very difficult, so has anyone used heavy duty plasterboard fixings to fix their projector mount to the ceiling? Alternatively, will I need to make a wooden structure to bridge the two joists, if I don't want to end up with a floor-mounted projector in the middle of the night?

TIA,

_

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Most joists are 14ins apart - can't you fix to one and zoom in/out to fit the screen?

Plasterboard fixings may be OK if the ceiling is plasterboard and not old lathe and plaster (which tends to crumble), but to be 100% secure, you could make up an mdf sheet (router the edges and paint to give a nice finish) and fix between the two joists as you suggested.

If done well, it'll look fine.

Gary.

3. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i was gonna ceiling mount mount mine but after looking at ceiling(house built in 1902!)i went for a wall mount instead.
    brought a wall mount designed for 14-16 inch tv's from focus diy priced at £14.99.
    at 11 feet i get a screen 6 feet wide which is big enough for my small (12 by 12) room.
    dont know if this is any good for your room , but they are worth a look at , and are available in white or grey.