1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling mounting a CX1 with mirrors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kurben, Nov 7, 2001.

1. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of ceiling mounting my CX1 with some help from mirrors.
    Yes I know the projector is not intended to be upsidedown and all sorts of things can happen e.g the heat disspation.

My thought is to use two small mirrors like a periscope but with one of the mirrors twisted, like this \____/. The picture will be correct if the proj is upsidedown and it will be on the other side of the wall so you have to mount the proj backwards also.

The negative affects would be that i would loose some light stength. If you calculate that each piece of glass has 4% less light when it passes thru you would have only about 84% left when it has passed thru all the glass (each glass is passed twice sine it is a mirror) Correct??. But if I could use mirrors which are antireflection treated I would loose almost nothing(1 or 2 %). (I just don't know where to get those)

The positive affect would be that the distance to the screen can be less in order to get a bigger picture.

/Kurben.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin

I do admire your way of thinking, but you are completely mad m8! Do you lie awake at night thinking these things up?

I am guessing that you are like 99% of HC fans, ie on a tight budget, because you have bought a CX1, so admit defeat and stick it on your coffe table and just enjoy the fun of a big screen. That mirror will have to be spot on, I mean to "Hubble" specs (and that was wrong) else any distortion will be magnafied.

If you can get this to work I suggest that you patent it an sell it to all the other CX1 (and potential HS1) owners in the country.

ps Hope your not too angry at being refered to as mad! No offense intended!!

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Kurben,
    An ordinary mirror will produce a double image reflection. This is because the light passes through the glass before hitting the silvered surface. Using two mirrors will create twice as many false images.

There are special mirrors for this type of job, they're called Front Silvered Mirrors. The silver surface is exposed and the image is reflected without passing through glass. This type of mirror is used in rear projection TVs.

If you are determined to ceiling mount your projector then do a dummy run with ordinary mirrors before investing in the more expensive front silvered jobs.

Good luck

4. kurben

kurben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I like to think like this! I have built all my speakers my self since childhood and now I am pretty good at it...

I like to think of the proj in the same way, if it were perect when I bought it, I would still try to tweak it. It is like an overclocker I just can't get enough.

Today I will contact a comapany here in sweden ( http://www.spectrogon.com )that makes optics and mirror for the partical accelerator? in France.

Thank you Chris for the info regarding the mirrors I will ask for such mirrors instead.

I tried yesterday with two ordinary mirrors and to my almost trained eyes it looked like no diffrence. I will make a prototype with two ordninarary mirrors in i black matt box to make as little light spill as little as possible, and try to switch between them to see the diffrence.

/Kurben