Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ceiling Mounted Projector Connections

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Josh_P, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Josh_P

Josh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am about to mount my Sony VW-11HT to the ceiling, however, as it's not a dedicated room (living room), I will be taking it down when not in use.

I was wondering how you guys wire up your projectors, do you have a socket outlet mounted in the ceiling for power and a socket like those sold by 'letsautomate' Here for video connections?

I really don't want wires hanging through the ceiling and would like the neatest possible solution.

Would appreciated your thoughts and what solutions you guys came up with.

Best regards and Merry Christmas

Josh

2. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had the same problem mate and the idea for me was that if I got the ceiling mount I wanted to keep it there permanently as otherwise it seems a waste having it when you think about it, so considering the best pic is from dead centre on both axis, I came up with this option instead which works perfectly for me plus keeps the missus happy at the same time as when not in use its not noticable (unlike a pj on the ceiling or a ceiling mount with nothing attached which will stick out like a sore thumb!) plus cost a few quid to make unlike the £70 for the mount I was looking at and all the work running cabling through the ceiling etc :D

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108686

3. Josh_P

Josh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mad

Nice solution, however, my room is 10 mtrs long and have to have the projector mounted about 3.5 mtrs from screen.

Having the mount fixed to the ceiling would not be to much of a problem, I'm getting the Chief RPA mount. This is fixed to the ceiling but has a quick release to allow the projector to be removed and replaced without changing the settings.

My real problem is what I do with the power and video cables when the projector is not mounted, I don't want a hole in the ceiling with the cables dangling down and was wondering what solution other people here have come up with.

Apart from putting a socket outlet for power and another outlet plate for video connections I cannot think of another way of doing it and was hoping someone here can point me in another direction.

I suppose the other solution is to mount these outlet at high level on wall and run the cables somehow from there to projector when it's mounted.

I would be grateful for any ideas you good people my have.

Regards

Josh

4. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    10m = 30ft??? christ! :eek: yep defo use the mount then! ;)

you got a link for the mount, be interested in seeing the quick release mechanism etc, how much?

you could always terminate the video wires at ceiling height moulded in and then use some small 'bridging' wires to connect when the pj is mounted?

5. Josh_P

Josh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy

Yeah, thats what I was thinking of doing, putting socket outlet and video outlet box in ceiling then just running short cables to projector but was wondering if anyone had done this or any better idea.

As for the mount - heres a link www.chiefmfg.com/product_display.asp?typ=ps&id=30

Cheers