ceiling mounted amp suggestions - not opus

Brady

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello
Does any one have any suggestions for ceiling mounted amplifiers. I have come on to a job started by someone else who has apparently dissaperad, the cable scheme is prewired for Opus, which means there is only cat5 and power to the speaker points, I can use baluns to get a line level signal to there. I've used Opus in the past and would rather steer clear of it. I've looked at Digilinx but it does seem incredibly expensive in comparison, has any got any suggestion for amps that will fit in through a 9 inch hole.
Thanks

Hi there,
Installers generally use products based on several criteria. Usually these will include cost, suitability, ease of install and the main consideration for many reliability. These are a few of the areas that installers will base a decision upon. Obviously for this poster the mentioned system doesnt fit these criteria. HTH Shorty

How long are the cable runs? You may be able to get away with a standard, remote amp, and parallel the cores of the CAT5 for speaker usage (if power levels are lowish).

Chris

I'm not quite sure what you mean there Shorty.
Thanks Chris but I'd reather not use cat5 for speaker level, it just doesn't seem right.

CAT5 is rated ~1A per core. Use cores in parallel to increase. For your average multi-room install it's fine.

Ultimately at speaker levels, the cable just needs to be adequate to cover the power requirements and line loss, and not overly capacitive.

I haven't installed Opus before, but if it's per-speaker home-run cabling, then you'll have plenty of capacity for normal power levels.

It solves the problem. No, I wouldn't put it in by choice, but if it's there and the client doesn't want to pay for tens of amplifiers or re-doing the ceiling, then it's the best engineering choice - does the job with acceptable performance for the least money.

Chris

Hiya, it depends on what systems you have available to use, I use Control 4 who have what are called speaker points which might suit. However they need power to work and a Control 4 main controller so probably not the right solution for this job (if its a budget system)

I'd go with a multi channel amp and use the speaker cable that has been installed if this is possible.

There are small amps that may fit the bill but they will all need mains power so again probably not much help.

Kind regards,

Linx

Hi Brady,
All that I was saying is that for one reason or another using Opus as a solution doesnt work for everyone.In response to sparkys question. Basically thats it. Regards shorty

Depends on the wiring is it cat5 only? if not then netstreams is an option... Cat5 only systemline modular speakers ( :p )

there are a few solutions and more that can be engineered with more on site knowledge and the clients requirements.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom