1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling mounted AE100 - Standby mode or Power OFF ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Markie Boy, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    I am about to ceiling mount my AE100 after months of sitting on me arse avoiding it. I have a power socket inside the attic for power supply. Wondering what you guys do regarding power. Is it safe to leave the PJ on standby constantly or should I just disconnect the power cord from the back of the unit when not in use? I will be using a Belkin SurgeCube for the socket, I dont want anything blowing this baby!!!

Markie Boy

2. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I leave mine on standby all the time - as with any other electronic goods that feature a standby.

It's said by some that standby mode is kinder on the circuitry, as powering a unit on presents the biggest power surge to the components. Maybe that's just TV's though :)

3. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I agree as uk_robk says, especially in the AE100's case where the PSU is not very reliable, the power supply takes a surge when plugging in the power and could blow it over period of time

Matt :)

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Imagine what's going to happen to that very expensive bulb when you've finished watching a film and you power the thing off without letting the fans cool it down properly ? Or were you thinking that you could guess when the bulb was cool enough to power off ? :nono:

Mike.

5. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right flimber - the manual does state that should should never disconnect the unit's mains supply or power it off with the back switch until the standby light goes from yellow to red and the fan has stopped.

I had a nightmare moment setting mine up when it was projecting a blue display so I could get it exactly level and the mains lead fell out the back - i was TERRIFIED!! Thought it would have killed the bulb for sure, gave it half an hour and it came back on with no problems - but the whole experience has made me more keen to get a UPS to protect the unit from powerfailures in the future, obviously the UPS can't fix the lead falling out - that was my fault :eek:

6. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does the AE100 have a hard on/off switch on the unit itself? With my AE300 I always wait for the PJ to power down after use then after the red LED shows I turn it off using that switch.

I'm probably wrong but I didn't think that switch sent much of a surge to the components inside. Is this what you guys are talking about or unplugging it at the mains?

7. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Splinter, yes the AE100 has a hard switch. I never use that nor do I disconnect the mains. I keep it in standby, whether or not this really does reduce surging isn't something I can answer ;)

8. mwatson800

mwatson800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The original question was should I leave my ceiling-mounted AE100 on standby...the answer is most definitely YES, because turning it on/off at the mains OR switching it off via the onboard switch stress the PSU unnecessarily. The AE100 PSU is renowned for its 'flakiness' so its not worth risking it and there are not really any serious issues with leaving AV units on Standby.

When my friend (also an owner of this unit) helped me install my AE100, he specifically told me NOT to turn it off at all if it could be helped and leave it on Standby for this (see above) reason.

Hope that clarifies it, Matt ;)

9. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always thought for some reason it was probably worse to leave it on standby 24/7. But if it harms it no more than switching it off I'll keep it on standby then.

10. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Cheers for that guys!
    Flimber, naturally i am allowing the machine to power down. I just wanted to know which was better as the wife may use the PJ while I'm not home and wanted to make sure I was protecting it as much as I could !!!

Markie Boy