1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling Mount With Shock Absorbing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Papua, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've recently purchased a 4805 and want to mount it on the ceiling to get it out of the way. The problem I have is that my house is a timber frame construction and is linked with our neighbours. Everytime they close a near outside door there is a loud bang which also will transmit a reasonable shock through the ceiling (its within 10 feet).

I would like to purchase a ceiling mount that can dampen any shock received so that this shock doesn't pass to the projector (and bulb). Are there any ceiling mounts available that have this facility. Again with people walking around an upstairs room will transmit shock through the mount.

I really want to ceiling mount the projector but am concerned about this so much that I have not done this yet. Before anyone asks, it is not practical to leave the projector where it is on a table as I have to keep moving it. I've looked around but found nothing yet. :lease: help.

2. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Well, even if you put some sort of padding between the mount and the ceiling, the bolts themselves would have to have a solid connection to the ceiling joists, which would continue to transmit shakes and bumps to the projector.

You might be worrying unneccessarily, we get minor shakes from people walking about in the room above and that's from floorboards attached directly to the joists that the PJ is attached to.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tough one that. Personally I would put it on a decent sized free standing book shelf. I have one from Ikea that is massive (about 7 foot high and deep enough to fit my HS50 if I so wished) that would do the trick. Plus unless the earth moved (heh) then it shouldn't shake.

Cheers

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Buy some of those little self adhesive rubber bumps. Give them to your neighbour and tell him to use these if he can't stop his kids slamming the door. You're not complaining - you're helping!

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I don't think it would be that big a deal.

Put the bracket up, mount your PJ and give it a go. I doubt it would move that much.

6. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I bought the vogel universal mount for my Projector (hs50) it gets mouted to the joist using the supplied screws, 2 of em, but the actual PJ plate is attached to the mount with a plastic recessed disk. THis disk is pulled into the mount using an internal bolt (already fitted) and it uses this resistance to hold the plate and give it full twist, turn and roll. Im sure it would act as some sort of shock absorber.

not sure if im making myself clear :confused:

EDIT. Forgot, if you interested paid £130 inc del from hifi bitz.

7. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would think that any type of suspension mount would have to be very soft and flexible so as not to transmit any vibration to your pj that it would make setting up very difficult, as everytime you touched your pj it would move around.

However it may at least reduce the problem, what about something like this.

good luck.

8. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for your replies. My main concern was the transmission of shock to the bulb. I know that the projector must be held rigidly otherwise the picture will start bouncing all over the place.

The main shock is a patio door that moves slides closed towards our house and the shock as the door hits the stop, this creates a reasonably loud bang, apart from this we have not got any other shocks/vibrations.

I had thought of the anti-vibration mounts that Johnnie his indicated and will probably go down this route as those mounts are very inflexible they just remove some of the vibration.

I just thought that a ceiling mount manufacturer would have thought about this and would manufacture a mount for this purpose, as I was hoping to purchase a ceiling mount with anti-shock built in.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Papua

I'm no engineer but I doubt there's a practical way to actually 'decouple' your Projector from the frame of the house if you have to bolt it to your ceiling joists.

If you look at 'in car' camera gear for the Police and TV crews there as two schools of thought - 'Rigid' or 'Loose'' the loose guys basically use a bean bag plus straps.

You could use a Projector 'cradle mount' (assuming you have the option to use the projector 'right way up' when its set above the screen) and add some cushioning between the base of the projector and the cradle (though ensure you don't block airways).

Have you considered a coffee table with the projector concealed within the table - you can create something practical for relatively low cost; even if you have to employ a local cabinet maker.

Best regards

Joe

10. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Papua,

If you're into DIY how about this :-

Get a hold of six steel discs, say about 50mm diameter.

Take your projector and stick one disc on each face .

Now, build a frame, to fix to the ceiling, that will hold six magnets, one magnet opposite each steel disc ( i.e. top,bottom,left,right,front,back ).

Place your projector inside the frame and hey presto ! one levitating projector ! :D

That should cut out any vibrations. :devil:

Best Regards,

Stan.

11. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but if the magnets are on the frame, which is attached to ceiling, then won't the magnets move position when the ceiling is rocked a little? Which would then surely cause the levitating projector to move slightly. Would be tops though :) Seen those little toys you can get in gadget shops and it's tops how things float around. Would be like really cool to do that with a projector. Although you would sweat a little with thousands of pounds worth of AV equipment hanging from the ceiling just by magnets (plus they would have to be electromagnets, so a power cut would stuff it. Perhaps a seriously good UPS or backup powerplant methinks?).

How about giroscopes? Don't they keep things level no matter what happens with the device above?

Cheers

12. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    And into the realms of fantasy :D. I would imagine that any magnets powerful enough to do this would surely also effect the works of a projector.

Perhaps ceiling mount manufacturers don't think of any shock reaching the projector. I have decided to go with a rigid mount but with an extension tube. I would expect the extension tube to absorb some of the shock, which really only happens about once per hour.

I need to ceiling mount because it is situated in front of our patio door and I want to put a soft in front of it. Hopefully it will all work out ok in the end.

13. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Papua,

The extension tube could actually make things worse by acting as a lever i.e. a small movement at the ceiling could produce a bigger movement at the projector end of the tube.

It's worth a try though !

Crivens,

The four magnets around the projector ( front,back,left,right ) would all be the same, they're just stopping the projector turning.

The top magnet would have to be alot stronger than the bottom magnet since it would be taking the weight of the projector, the bottom magnet is just stopping the top magnet pulling the projector right up.

It would be possible to do it without electromagnets, if you had lots of different sizes of magnet to play about with until you got the right balance between the top and bottom magnets.

However, as you say, the projector probably would still move !

Giroscopes, maybe, I don't know enough about them to know if it would be possible .

How about a ball joint at the ceiling end of an extension tube ?

Best Regards,

Stan.

14. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    plan two....
    move to a detatched bungalow. :D