Ceiling mount for PJ - finding wood?

M

Maximum Bob

PJ celing mounts make me nervous, just cos' I never done it before - I can see me making a nice plaster hole!

Any tips on how to find where the wooden joist is behind the plaster? to make sure I screw into the right place.

Get one of those electronic stud finders :)

Easier and cheaper method is simply tap with your knuckle on the plaster and when your hear a duller noise that is where the joist should be. (trust me I'm a plasterer)

john59 said:
Easier and cheaper method is simply tap with your knuckle on the plaster and when your hear a duller noise that is where the joist should be. (trust me I'm a plasterer)
Always worked for me. Getting the exact center of the joist takes a practised ear though! (trust me, I'm often plastered :D).

As your mount will cover a multitude of DIY sins...
Find the joist by tapping - it will run at right angles to the floorboards in the room above.
Mark your joist position and then narrow it down further using a small drill bit.
Drill 4-5cm deep holes in a line across the joist. If the bit goes in a couple of centimetres and 'pops' through then you're in plasterboard. If the bit goes in and bites for several centimetres, kicking out sawdust then you're in the joist. A couple more little holes and you will have found the centre and you can make the hole a bit bigger to accomodate the mounting screws.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom