1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceiling mount advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Crivens, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a projector. Thanks to this forum then for helping me choose the projector (HS50), screen (DRH), and supplier (Discounttv).

Now I had decided to just use a shelf to put the projector on, but have calculated that with my total throw distance of 5 metres, my 104" screen is too small. In fact I would need something like 4.66 metres to fill the screen exactly. This was from the online calculator for the HS51, but I'm guessing the figures should be the same?

So, unless someone can say if the Sony can shrink a picture below 1x zoom, then it looks like I need to move the projector (screen will be on wall brackets).

First thoughts are to plonk it onto one of the side walls. But I don't know if the horizontal shifting on the HS50 will be enough to get the image on the screen, and I take it that pointing the projector at an angle is not a good thing.

So the obvious answer is ceiling mounts. Luckily it looks like a ceiling joist is in the right place (using good old tapping ceiling method). My questions are what is a decent ceiling mount for the HS50? Where can I buy it? And how exactly do you go about attaching it to the ceiling? I mean does it come with the appropriate screws and accessories to secure it into the ceiling? And basically can a complete DIY novice (I put together some flat pack desks once) do it without much hassle?

Hopefully can set this all up to watch all 5 episodes of Star Wars before my prebooked Episode 3 ticket on the 22nd May. :) And then the 12 hours or so of extended Lord of the Rings trilogy. Oh yes.

Cheers

2. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Not a bad idea. I was actually thinking of one of those TV arms that can swivel around, giving a similar extension from the wall. Although I would prefer a ceiling mount because once fixed in place you should never have to worry again.

Cheers

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
  5. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. But I am more interested in exactly how they are attached to the ceiling? I mean there will be £1600 worth of kit hanging upside down from the ceiling, and I want to make sure it will be properly in place. Do you use special screws to wedge it into the wood or what? And some links to projector ceiling mount suppliers would be good.

Cheers

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    You can screw straight into the ceiling joists through the ceiling plasterboard, or you can go upstairs and lift a floor board or two and place a plank of about 1/2" thickness between two joists where the pj will go so you have a larger area to screw into.

Or, you can use some no more nails (or similar) to glue in some plasterboard fixings into the ceiling so they should never pull out. Or use some special plasterboard fixings that will clamp themselves to the plasterboard when tightnened.

I placed a 10" wide piece of wood between two ceiling 'joists' (my loft ceiling is supported by 2x1 joists) so that I had an area of approximately 10" x 18" to screw into, and I currently have an Optoma H77 hanging from it (invluding the ceiling mount).

Gary.

7. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Special plasterboard fixings? Where can you get them from?

Anyone got any links for ceiling mounts? Or wall mounts come to think of it. I've Googled a few sites, but I don't know what is good for a HS50.

Cheers

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Any good DIY shop liek B&Qs should sell them.

If you don't want to make your own ceiling mount, LMP (I think that's their name) make a good value mount and it was available from this forum, or try the search.

There are a few HS50 owners here, so you could try a search for HS50 ceiling mounts or make a new post with that as the heading to attract owners directly.

Gary.

9. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I've had a look online, and found a site called www.AVRabbit.com

They have Vogel universal projector mounts. They look pretty decent, and another site sold them with their HS50s. So must be ok. Out of interest, they have one model with a 10cm drop, so nicely near the ceiling, and another with a 30cm extension pole. What are the benefits of using the 30cm model? Would rather have it nearer the ceiling myself.

Cheers

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    It depends on where you have your screen in relation to the projector - the projector will have certain range that it can project into, so having it too high may mean the screen will have to go near the ceiling.

If the HS50 has lens shift, quite often that will mean the top of the screen will line up with the center of the lens if the lens shift is fully down. It's worth checking the manual for this info so you can decide on what drop you will need in relation to where you want the screen to go.

Gary.

11. STR

STR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use a 10cm Vogel close mount with my HS50. I also have a 30cm extension pole which I don't use, as there is more than enough lens shift to cope (unless you have a very high ceiling). BTW the extension pole, should you need it, has a different larger four hole mounting plate, instead of the two for the close mount.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Simon

12. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically if you get the 30cm version (which is the same price as the close mount), then you can basically ditch the extension pole, and basically have the original close mount? ie. order the 30cm version then decide which one you want when you get it. Out of interest, was it easy enough to attach to the ceiling? Did you have to dig up the floorboards, or was it straight forward to locate and screw into a joist?

Cheers

13. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a reply from AVRabbit. Very good considering it is a bank holiday weekend on a sunday. Top stuff!

Right, will basically order that one then.

Cheers

14. STR

STR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it looks as though you can get the extension version for the same price, then I suppose you might as well! The pole can be cut to any length you require if needed, or if you change your pj in the future to one that doesn't have lense shift and want to avoid any keystone correction.

I used a stud locator to try and confirm the centre of the joist, but I would have to say there was a lot of double checking going on, which meant taking up the carpet upstairs, looking at the line of nails, taking measurments, and as luck would have it for me, there was a small gap in the boards near to the mounting position, so that I could confirm the centre without having to take up the floor boards. Once you have the hole centres marked, it's then just a straight forward pilot hole, and screw it up really tight. I also put a bit more tension on the friction cup, to stop any movement once in place. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Simon

15. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the 30cm module. But plan to not use the extension pole.

Hmmm. So I think I located my joist by using the old tapping the ceiling method. Seems like it is a good 4 or 5 inches in width. Suppose is best to get exactly centre of the width? As for the stud locator, is that one of those metal detector things? And is a stud basically a nail or what? So if you locate the studs, do you then screw the mount attachments between the studs? So if there is a line of studs directly across the room, then because the studs will be in the middle of the joist (massive assuming here), then screwing inbetween the studs gets you exactly in the middle of the joist? If you know what I mean...

Cheers

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    If you have a small drill bit, you can drill small holes in the ceiling where you want the pj to go and you will know instantly where the joist is, and how big.

You can easily fill the holes after or they may even be hidden by the ceiling mount.

Gary

17. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Cheers Gary, some good advice there.

Here's to an all day marathon of all Star Wars movies (just before going to see Episode 3) combined with Lord of the Rings extended trilogy. Reckon that should take about 24 hours. Tops. Might do a toilet and sofa conversion too :)

Cheers

18. STR

STR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed excellent suggestion by Gary.

If you have joists 4 or 5 inches wide, you should have no problems! I only had 2" or so, so needed a little more care, and was probably over cautious. The stud locator is used to detect framework, and will detect metal or wood with calibration, so I just used it to confirm the edges, but I'm sure that's not necessary in your situation.

Happy viewing :)

Cheers
    Simon

19. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think it's that wide. I mean I'm only knocking the ceiling, but it appears to be that wide before the hollow knocking noises come back again.

Cheers

20. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Vogel mount £130.00 Brilliant job and easy to fit

21. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Vogel universal mount EPC4010 with 30cm extension pole for £69 from AVRabbit. Is that the model you mean?

Cheers