Ceiling Light Recommendation

technoholic

Hi All

I am redecorating my second bedroom, right now it will be my man cave/office but in the future it may well become a spare room again. Now, I'm decorating it in a nice smart dark slate blue colour, to be accented with dark wood, and then brushed metals on picture frames etc. Originally, I was going to install spot lights to replace the old single pendant that's there at the moment, but then I realised that a) i'm not particularly fond of the hot spots that spotlights give, or the type of light and b) I don't think they are "cosy" enough, and if this does become a bedroom again in the future, they will not work with what we want.

So while I am moving the existing pendant to the middle of the room, I have decided to install some sort of pendant light fitting that goes with the modern but classy theme. I don't want anything with arms, nothing extravagant etc etc. I also don't want it to sit too low in the room, and needs to produce enough light to light everywhere, but there will be lamps in there too.

I've been looking at things like this:

Pendant Lamp Drum 50 Short Grey

and this

Buy John Lewis Jorgen LED Hoop Ceiling Pendant | John Lewis

but while they are both nice, i'm still open to options. I like this:

Hue Pendant Shade, Navy & Copper | made.com which is only a shade but i like the elements to it, if it was a full on light fitting, it would be better.

Anyone got any sort of suggestions? I'm open to any ideas right now

thanks

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I can't give you any suggestions on style as I have none.

Just remember to turn of at the consumer unit as the fitting will still be live even when the switch is off.

technoholic

thanks, i've actually already rewired the old fitting into a maintenance free junction box in the loft and run a new cable to the new location and it's wired up temporarily to a new cheap pendant flex while I'm waiting to find a fitting.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Ok, just always find it worthwhile informing people.

I only found out myself due to going to replace it, was an inch away from the fitting with a screwdriver on a chair, but my natural pessimism made me call my brother (an electrician) to double check.
Then I found out the switch doesn't isolate it :thumbsup:

In my defence I was 18 at the time, new flat, no clue about home circuits.

technoholic

oh yes, the switch certainly doesn't isolate the loop in from the board or previous light. Definitely worth reminding people.

technoholic

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Maybe try net mums?

ImageUploadedByAVForums1446025875.826558.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1446025895.334962.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1446025909.067092.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom