Ceiling lift for projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andyhofer, Apr 26, 2007.

1. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    From the title you probably guess that I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

What I'm after is some method of having the projector hidden in the ceiling, and then when I need to use it, it will gradually decend from the ceiling using remote control.

The overall idea being that both the screen and the projector will not be visible when not in use, but on the click on my remote, both the project will drop, probably 12" and the screen.

I'm not sure what this gadget would be called but if anyone has any ideas on the name of it, where to look or even a known supplier that would be great.

Thanks All

2. adam4478

adam4478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i haven't seen anything like this but i'm sure it's possible !!
    what i have seen is a system where the projector is mounted in the ceiling and there is a mirrored flap that comes down out of the ceiling and is angled so that the image reflects onto the screen when all is turned on. i believe it used dual mirrors to ensure the image came out right and meant the projector stayed static inside the ceiling void with a hatch underneath for access (bulbs cleaning etc) looked very tidy and with the screen hidden in the void and coming down electronically was incredibly cool :)

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    You need to look for a projector lift. Have a google for some ideas on models and prices. You will need a suitable clear cavity above the ceiling to house the projector mechanism when closed which makes retrofit into a ground floor ceiling almost impossible in a standard 2 storey house. If you have plenty of floor-ceiling height you could create a false ceiling as an alternitive. If you do decide to proceed then you really need to see the mechanism in action if possible to check it is robust and always drops the projector to exactly the same position without twisting or drooping otherwise you will be forever adjusting the mechanism to try and get the picture just right.

4. SimonCee

SimonCee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like just what I'm after :thumbsup: , I'll Google "Projector Lift" as well and have a look around. Roof space isn't a problem as it's a single storey with pitched roof. I agree the mechanism needs to be perfect as I don't want to keep adjusting the picture.

Thanks everyone

6. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Damn, the puretheatre lift isn't wide enough for my panny ax100e, the internal dimension is only 390mm and the panny is 395mm. I thought £950 was a bit steep, but looking around it's not too bad. To have a custom made one would cost £1250 and thats pushing the budget by a fair bit.

I'll probably go for a framed ceiling and sit it inside.

Thanks anyway

7. SimonCee

SimonCee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dammit...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    this is pssible and quite a few companies make them would you want it installed or just supplied for DIY fitment?

9. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not sure really dragon, the building will be erected in July/August and I am investigating all the possible options, and prices. Finding a solution that is easy to live with re filter cleaning etc seems a bit of a problem.

Some lift are all enclosed as above, making filter cleaning impossible without moving the PJ out of position. I considered putting it into a framed ceiling surround, but again PJ maintenance and filter cleaning a problem again.

Even attaching the PJ (AX100E) close to the ceiling doesn't work because the PJ will be hung up side down, and the filter comes out of the base, which means I assume, that you would need to remove it fro the ceiling. Cleaning should happen every 100 hours.

Perhaps I'm being over negative but I don't own this little wonder yet so have no real exposure to any problems if they exist.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    it is usual for projectors to be ceiling mounted so if that requires de monting to clean every 100 hours then thats a poor design (change PJ) if you building the site then you have far more options main thing is to make sure the beams etc dont foul the likely mounting points this isnt easy but easier than moving them.

11. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  13. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A decent lift, but very very small, I'm looking for a lift that can take the Panny AE1000E as this is the type of PJ I'm looking for long term. I would hate to fit a lift that in the future would be too small

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  15. avs guy

avs guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. YooEntSinMe

YooEntSinMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  17. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  18. andyhofer

andyhofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for all the replies, I must be missing something or just plain ignorant, but they all seem damn expensive, I thought that these things would cost a most £400. Perhaps I should make my own out of a shoe box and a couple of elastic bands ;) .

I'll review my budget and see whatI can do...

19. TonylikeAV

TonylikeAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is a little steep? has anybody seen this for about £100 or am i dreaming?

Can I make this? like pimp my ride?

Cheers

Tony

20. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    LOL a motorised lift mechanism, reliable enough to screw your pride and joy projector to, for 100 notes? 100 quid is about right for a fixed mount to hold a decently heavy or awkward projector. A lift mechanism involves the motor, the cage, the fitment into the ceiling recess and the trim, the 12v control interface and IR remote or 12v trigger input. Not to mention it needs to be a decent enough build to reliably always stop in exactly the same place every time so that it always perfectly matches your projection screen location. I'd love to see a DIY project, but unfortunately it would be the sadist in me wanting to see people realise just how complicated some of this stuff is to do properley!!!!!

Now saying that, if you do have a very small projector, and only need it to just get below ceiling level. Not come down far, or be bigger than 45x34cm max 15 kilos. Then the Beamax 10635 is less than 700 quid. It's about the cheapest reliable solution I have seen. The trigger or IR interface is extra (usually you want one trigger to run both screen and lift as per Future Automation).