Ceiling channels in cheap AV Receivers

RezaD

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Some people say that to hear good quality Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, you have to buy an expensive AV Receiver. Since my budget is limited and if I raise my money I can only buy a cheap 5.1.2 AV receiver with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X (like Yamaha RX-V6 and Denon AVR-S750H), I wanted to know if what these people are saying is true or not?
Thanks

Last edited:
Personally I would go second hand on a budget. In fact both of my amps were bought from these very forums.

What's your budget and what's your other equipment?

Personally I would go second hand on a budget. In fact both of my amps were bought from these very forums.
I live in Iran and it is not possible for me to buy a second hand AV receiver.
Except in certain cases.

What's your budget and what's your other equipment?
Due to budget constraints, I bought an old 7.1 Channel LG AV receiver and old LG speakers.

2 × Floorstanding
1 × Center
4 × Bookshelf (I plan to use 2 Bookshelf speakers for the ceiling channels)
2 × Subwoofer

The specifications of the speakers are as follows:

Attachments

• XAS-7920 Speakers.jpg
    XAS-7920 Speakers.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 00001.jpeg
    00001.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 00003.jpeg
    00003.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi, did you mean to put 'ceiling speakers' in the thread title, as that confuses me?!

In answer to your original question - more expensive AVR's have more power, better DAC's, and potentially better room correction, components, shielding, features etc. Lower cost AVR's should still work, but probably not sound as good, or have as many features as expensive AVR's.

Out of the speakers you have, they should all work okay with a standard AVR, apart from the subwoofer, which looks like it is passive. It would need it's own amp, or you would need to replace it with an active subwoofer.

did you mean to put 'ceiling speakers' in the thread title, as that confuses me?!
I have three questions

1. Can cheap AVRs play Dolby Atmos and DTS-X properly?
(I know their quality is not like expensive AVRs, but are they too bad?)

2. Are 2 ceiling channels enough or do I need 4 channels?

3. Do my LG Bookshelf speakers have the ability to be in the Dolby Atmos channel?

Out of the speakers you have, they should all work okay with a standard AVR, apart from the subwoofer, which looks like it is passive. It would need it's own amp, or you would need to replace it with an active subwoofer.
The subwoofers are active

In answer to your original question - more expensive AVR's have more power, better DAC's, and potentially better room correction, components, shielding, features etc. Lower cost AVR's should still work, but probably not sound as good, or have as many features as expensive AVR's.
What do you think about the models I mentioned:

The cheaper models can certainly play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X if it is part of their specifications. You will not be able to have four Atmos speakers with entry level models as they are invariably restricted to a maximum of seven channels, ie, 5.1.2.

1. Can cheap AVRs play Dolby Atmos and DTS-X properly?
Yes, in terms of decoding the incoming audio and sending the correct parts to the correct speakers at the correct time.
(I know their quality is not like expensive AVRs, but are they too bad?)
No-one can answer that - define 'bad'
Are 2 ceiling channels enough or do I need 4 channels?
2 is enough, 4 is better - they don't have to be in the ceiling
3. Do my LG Bookshelf speakers have the ability to be in the Dolby Atmos channel?
I am not clear on what you mean by this - any speaker can be in any channel, your speakers seem to be 8 ohms so should be fine to pair with any AVR.
The subwoofers are active
Are you sure? If so, that's good - they will work with any AVR
What do you think about the models I mentioned:
I have no experience of them, so I can't really comment.

No-one can answer that - define 'bad'
it means:
Can a cheap 5.1.2 AVR perform Dolby Atmos and DTS-X sound effects as standard? So that the user can feel the difference between this system and a 5.1 system?

in other words:
Is the difference between a 5.1.2 system and a 5.1 system significant?

The cheaper models can certainly play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X if it is part of their specifications. You will not be able to have four Atmos speakers with entry level models as they are invariably restricted to a maximum of seven channels, ie, 5.1.2.
I mean, is a 7-channel AVR enough for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X or do I need to buy a 9-channel AVR?

it means:
Can a cheap 5.1.2 AVR perform Dolby Atmos and DTS-X sound effects as standard? So that the user can feel the difference between this system and a 5.1 system?

in other words:
Is the difference between a 5.1.2 system and a 5.1 system significant?
It depends on a lot of factors, there is no definitive answer to that. Generally the answer is yes, if you have an identical system that is 5.1 and you expand it into a 5.1.2 system and playback an atmos soundtrack, it will be noticeably better.

But, if the amp / speakers / room and source audio is all sub-optimal, then the difference may not be great.

I mean, is a 7-channel AVR enough for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X or do I need to buy a 9-channel AVR?

Atmos and or DTS:X can be facilitated via a 7 channel 5.1.2 configuration with a floor layer 5.1 layout and 2 additional height, upward firing or ceiling speakers.

A 9 channel AVR would allow for a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup. THe 7.1.2 option would be a conventional 7.1 floor layer again plus 2 additional height, upfiring or ceiling speakers. The 5.1.3 option is the same as the 5.1.2 option but with 2 more additional height, upfiring or ceiling speakers. You can have even more speakers if you've more channels of amplification and processing. Most 9 channel AVRs allow you to add 2 more channels of external amplification which can then be used to power 13 speakers simultaneously.

The minimum requirement for Atmos without using Virtual Height processing is a 5.1.2 seven channel setup.

The size of your room and the ease by which you can accomodate the speakers will play a large part in determining what is the best target setup for you and that room. The larger the room then the more likliehood there is that more speakers would improve the perceived effects and immerse you in the audio. It isn't imperative that you have anything more than a 5.1.2 setup, but the effect of having more speakers can improve the experience while listening to 3D onject based formats.

Last edited:
I am not clear on what you mean by this - any speaker can be in any channel, your speakers seem to be 8 ohms so should be fine to pair with any AVR.
Yes, my speakers are 8 ohms

It depends on a lot of factors, there is no definitive answer to that. Generally the answer is yes, if you have an identical system that is 5.1 and you expand it into a 5.1.2 system and playback an atmos soundtrack, it will be noticeably better.

But, if the amp / speakers / room and source audio is all sub-optimal, then the difference may not be great.
Thanks
How good do you think my LG speakers can be for home theater?
(Since they are not famous brands like KEF, Focal, etc.)

See the specifications of my speakers in this post

Last edited:
The size of your room and the ease by which you can accomodate the speakers will play a large part in determining what is the best target setup for you and that room. The larger the room then the more likliehood there is that more speakers would improve the perceived effects and immerse you in the audio.
My movie room is about 20 square meters (4 meters x 5 meters)
A complete square with no cuts or windows (except room door)

My movie room is about 20 square meters (4 meters x 5 meters)
A complete square with no cuts or windows (except room door)

I think you'd get away with a 5.1.2 setup in a room that size so it isn't as imperative that you get a 9 channel receiver. The room isn't too small to acomodate at least a 5.1.4 setup though.

Maybe take a look at this Dolby guide to get a better isea as to how the speakers are layed out:

I did not understand this part:
I am discussing in very general terms here. To get the best possible audio performance you want the amp and speakers to playback the source audio exactly as the sound mixer intended.

This means that all of the speakers are positioned perfectly, and there is no noise / distortion introduced, the room doesn't reflect or reverberate the sound, and there is plenty of power for the full audio to be played back cleanly at reference volume.

Not many people can achieve that, so it's all compromise. Or, as I described it above - sub-optimal.

You really need to experiment with things in your room and see how it all sounds to you.

You can use the speakers you have with an AV receiver, but not the subwoofer. You'd need an active sub.

I'd also suggest you eventually replace the other speakers as time goes by and as funds allow. You can get better and better speakers will result in a better listening experience.

You can use the speakers you have with an AV receiver, but not the subwoofer. You'd need an active sub.
The subwoofers are active! :facepalm::D

I'd also suggest you eventually replace the other speakers as time goes by and as funds allow. You can get better and better speakerswill result in a better listening experience.
Thanks (I do not know how to "like" the posts)

Thanks (I do not know how to "like" the posts)

Hover over the blue thumb up symbol at the foot of a post and select the rating you'd like to leave that post:

by default 2020-09-26 at 20.59.37.png

I'm unsure as to whether or not novice members have this ability though and you may need to have a higher post count?

Hover over the blue thumb up symbol at the foot of a post and select the rating you'd like to leave that post:
I do not see this symbol at all!

I'm unsure as to whether or not novice members have this ability though and you may need to have a higher post count?
Yes, that's probably why
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom