CEDIA Exams?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonnyt, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

We are seriously considering joining CEDIA at somepoint (I am aware of the general views held about CEDIA and how it serves our industry) and once we have joined, I will be seriously considering taking some of the exams, namely Installer level 1 and perhaps the designer qualification at a later date.

It has been sometime since I have taken an exam of any kind, so wondered what the opinion from the mass known as AVF is and do you feel they have been beneficial to you and your career / company?

any thoughts / comments related to this greatly, as always, appreciated.

kind regards,
    Jonathan

2. limblee

limblee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Sorry I can't comment on your question,

however can you tell me what the installer industry is like at the moment.

I'm in the design/systems and print industry, and it's dying rapidly so I'm looking at different industries that interest me, with a view to jumping ship.

Cheers

3. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

As I see it (although it is only my limited view (we are a relativly new company)) this industry is a kin to where the PC industry was 8 years ago (although the PC industry is a bad analogy because now we have 'bugger off to india for a fortnight and come back with a qualification' and with media coverage saturating the industry with lame qualifications) - more in the sense that it is definately bouyant and on the right roads to improving, its gaining pace, my old man for his sins reads the sunday times and they have the odd 'i want to have music around my home' articles - and thats in a sunday paper!!!

Consumer awareness is growing - slowly - but it is growing.

It took me over 3 years to leave IT contracting after discovering 'cedia'. A lot can be learned from taking cedia courses and training, but its like driving - you dont learn to drive until you've passed your test.

Apologies for all the analogies, its early ;o)

hope this helps and comments are of course welcome from others,
    Jonathan