Answered CEC stopped working

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Halk, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Halk

Halk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After my living room was redecorated I've reconnected my kodi rasperry pi box, TV and AVR and CEC has stopped working.

It used to work flawlessly for what I wanted - the volume control on the TV controlled the AVR and not the TV volume, and when I turned the TV on or off the AVR turned on or off.

It's stopped working now and googling brought me to a suggestion that it might be the HDMI cable used. Further googling suggests that there is a pin on it that has CEC so I suppose CEC might not be connected on an old, cheap cable.

So I stuck and order into amazon for 3 new HDMI cables to replace what I already have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5GA8GV/

These seem to be a bit overkill to me, but I have the feeling if I get them then they will mean I don't need to worry about it being the cables.

On the other hand I'm aware that cabling has lots of scams going on and things like Monster cables peddle all sorts of spin to sell cables.

Is there any realistic chance at all that my cables might be the cause of CEC falling off? If not then I'll cancel the HDMI cable orders and try and find another solution.

It's a Hisense 65k5510 with an Onkyo 609.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by andy1249, Aug 31, 2017 (1 points)
  3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Best Answer
    All that blurb in the description of the product is nonsense.

At 1.5 meters , any and all HDMI cables are the same.
    The only honest thing a seller can say about a cable is what bandwidth it was tested for , so either " standard speed" " high speed" or " premium" but regardless which test was done at 1.5 meters there is a good chance it would have passed any of them.

Old or new , all hdmi cables have the same 19 connections and are made to the same spec.

Having said that, there is always the chance one of your cables got damaged during the work, so no harm trying new ones.
    Just ignore that nonsense description , you are not getting anything new here that you didnt already have.

Note: CEC and ARC ( ARC is part of CEC) is notoriously flaky, and you may get things back up and running just by toggling power or toggling HDMI control on and off on your devices.

4. Halk

Halk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I'm more or less aware of it being nonsense... however i'm going to let the order sit. It's not that expensive and the cables are going to be almost exactly the right length to make things tidier.

The TV won't detect any CEC devices no matter what I do. There's one HDMI marked as ARC so when I spotted that I thought I'd cracked it but sadly not!

5. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    May well be worth un plugging all your hdmi ports then plugging everything back into the tv one at a time and powering on - as above sec is horribly unreliable.

6. Halk

Halk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Turns out it must have been a dodgy cable. Not only did CEC work between the AVR and the TV it worked between the TV and the pi through the AVR. It's never done that before with either this TV or the last until now - so until now the setup has been partially broken but I wasn't aware.

I don't believe I've ever bought an HDMI cable before, so this dodgy one (or two) will be at least 5 years old and maybe as old as 10 and come with devices.