CEA says demos are the key to 4K TV uptake

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hodg100, Feb 10, 2014.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
    2. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,093
      It's ok saying 73% are positive after seeing a demo but when will there be any content available on broadcast tv or via bluray, thats at least a year away so the demand is pointless until content is available.

I want one but standards are still being finalised so until that happens and content is available anyone buying the current available models is wasting their money, they will also be cheaper in 12 months time.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    3. Krisafc80

Krisafc80

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +142
      I've been very impressed with what I've seen in stores (in far from ideal viewing conditions)....however....the argument re content is a valid one. Like many, this is what's holding me back right now.
      Then there is the price......most punters simply do not have or will not pay this kind of £££ regardless of how good the picture looks.

4. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,928
      I agree there, instead of "Demo, Demo, Demo" they should replace it with "Content, Content, Content" and screens without the horrendous DSE of current ones like Panasonic and LG and to a lesser degree the Samsung and the Sony.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +618
      How many of those respondants were making a comparison with
      a badly set up HD Tv at home? All to often sets remain in 'store' mode or people neglect to tune to HD channels when both definitions are available.

6. IRobot

IRobot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,053
      Yeh but in a shop you're standing up close to the screen so it's going to look more impressive.

At home, depending on size of screen and how far away you sit, you might not notice much difference compared to 1080P.

7. andy1249

andy1249
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,654
      I have seen the Sony 65 inch along with the Sony 4K player at a technology expo , the expo was crowded and this was the poorest attended stall there , I did not hear one positive comment on it , and my own view was the same , you would need a significantly bigger screen to see the benefits or to consider paying that kind of money for the technology.

8. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +98
      That's why I don't put much faith in 'statistics', as they don't really ask the right questions. From a pure sales perspective I can understand why they use these stats but it doesn't address the bigger picture.

Content is king, and if there is little to none available then it won't take off. It's fine presenting a demo with some carefully selected media to sell to the public but it's going to be a long time before 4K content is widely available.

Kbfern is right, until the 4k standard for home use is finalised then we may see a lot of the early adopters with obsolete or underspecced tvs in the next 2-3 years. I've not seen one first hand and I am sure they look as impressive as when I saw HD content for the first time. We have now had 3 major advancements in tv technology in the last 10 years (HD, 3D and now 4K) and I don't see that the public has the appetite and cash for another new tv in such a short space of time.

I also think that to really get the benefit of 4K resolution you will be looking at buying a screen size well in advance of 60" + and most UK homes will struggle to accommodate that.

9. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,484
      I don't put much faith in the results of those surveys. The most likely to participate would be people interested in the tech. Those uninterested would also be less likely to take part so I don't think it truly reflects consumer opinion.

I can't see much difference in pq between the 4k sets I have viewed and the the best 1080p ones. This is on 55" screens with shop demo footage which might not best demonstrate it's abilities.

I'm of the opinion that it'll benefit huge screens in the future but not be discernibly different to 1080p on a current 55" top of the range set.

10. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,093
      Larger screens are going to be where the biggest gains can be had but viewed at the appropriate distance, a 65" screen will need to be viewed from no more than around 8-9ft or otherwise you will see no benefit of increased resolution. Of course other improvements will be apparent like better colours/contrast but only if the standards incorporate them.

Smaller sets around 42" could have a use as well, imagine a 42" pc monitor on your desk only 2-3ft from your face either gaming or watching a 4k bluray.:)

11. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      On a 65" and up " i do se the posetive effect but im not keen at all..

12. rogdodge

rogdodge

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +497
      There are quite a few threads from folk who have a 4K TV. From what I have read they seem to be reliant on Netflix and some BDs and IMHO appear to be struggling to get something in 4K to watch. o_O

13. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +98
      Netflix have already stated that they are only in the 4K market as a way of making themselves look good. That's not very reassuring. I guess streaming 4K has issues due to bandwidth and compression so it's merely a stop gap until content is available via some type of optical disc. I read someone had created 1TB optical format a few years back which would be a good option.

I occasionally download the odd movie via Xbox Live and I really like the quality. Full 1080p, 5.1 audio which looks and sounds much better than Sky Box Office equivalent. Still prefer Blu-ray though.

I'm also not keen on curved screens that some of the manufacturers are pushing. The seating arrangement I use with one large sofa in front and one small sofa to the right of the screen would mean those to the side would be getting a distorted picture.

Do you remember when manufacturers were telling us about the benefits of new flat screens over the old curved CRT sets back in the late 90's and early 00's? Lets just hope curved screens are a fad.

14. The Style

The Style
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      I really don't know why they come out with this nonsense. Even if/when content becomes available its likely to be totally overpriced in whatever form it takes, possibly out of reach of the common man even if he is supposedly wowed by his shop demo. Then as others have said you will need a 65inch+ screen to see any difference. How many people can seriously fit a screen larger than 65inch in their house???

The whole Ultra HD push is looking more and more a total waste of time. Just as 1080p sets can't accurately reproduce Standard Def without introducing scaling artifacts, 4K screens will do the same to existing 1080p material and make Standard Def look even more unwatchable. In effect the whole reason they want you to "upgrade" is so you have to buy your film collection yet again. Well sorry, I don't think there's much appetite for that in the current economic climate.

The general public will just get confused by yet another technical standard they don't understand and I doubt it will increase TV sales that much either. Along with 3D and Smart TV its another non-starter. The TV biz keeps thinking they can recreate the massive sales surge they had when affordable flatscreens first came along with these further gimmicks on the format. The truth is nobody in the real world cares.

15. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,469
      How many of those people have seen good 1080p on a decent set?
      I see 4k every day, its not as amazing as people make out IMO then all I can still see is LCD issues and a big price tag.
      I want affordable OLED please, seeing one with good 1080p displayed makes me want one more and more, the depth and clarity is wonderful.

16. degsod

degsod

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +75
      Whilst agreeing with most of the comments I have to say that I disagree that you need a 65" TV to see the benefits. I went to my local Lewis a couple of months ago and was coming down the escalator when I spotted the best picture I had seen on a TV in a store, the TV was a 55" and was at the back of the store. It just stood out. Close up it was even better. Obviously the standards need to be agreed and a credible delivery mechanism put in place before I will buy.

17. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,771
      Netflix are pushing out 4k stuff very soon from what I understand, within a couple of months.

18. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +98
      I am also worried at the quality of upscaling 1080p material to fit a 4K panel. SD to 1080p generally doesn't look good unless it is a high quality source with little or no compression. So a 4K tv may have a negative effect on 1080p material. I certainly won't be upgrading my movie collection again to compensate. I have mostly blu-rays but still have DVDs for films that are not available in HD, and I am happy with that.

I've had my JVC D-ILA tv for about 6 years and although I have no plans on replacing it, I have on occasion looked online at the big Sharp Aquos LCDs (70-90"). Now if they made OLED versions that size then I might reconsider.

19. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,771
      You would have to check but the reviews here on the Samsung IIRC said the upscaling was excellent and in fact they felt 1080p looked better on the 4k sets.

Then a step up again on the Oleds.

20. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,811
      There's no need to worry, as this situation is NOTHING like going from SD to HD. The resolution of HD 1080 is directly proportional to UHD 2160, so the upscaling is mathematically precise, unlike converting SD (720x480 or 720x576) into HD (1920x1080). What this means is that the UHD upscaling is, to my eyes, seamless.

And as you say, a high quality source with little noise generally makes for a better upscale, and the same holds true for HD -> UHD, the point being that HD is way beyond SD when it comes to looking clean and sharp to begin with, especially regarding TV broadcasts (which are blocky as f*** in SD, I don't care what you're watching it on). And the processing in my Sony 4K set is still powerful enough to be able to faithfully translate smaller random details like grain when watching a Blu-ray movie.

To be perfectly honest, the PQ is so good with upscaled content (it helps that the screen has no DSE or 'pillars' or bullcrap like that) that even if 4K content never came along, I'd still be perfectly happy with it.

21. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +523
      The main problem is we all know the majority of content will be 1080 that's displayed on it and upscaling is the issue again. God knows what SD will look like upscaled to 4K. Look at how much SD there still is now, even though we've had HD for ages!

22. IvorB

IvorB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      As I have always said: I just need to see it for myself.

23. Bmars

Bmars
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      The insights from the case study really emphasise the importance of a demo in-store.

I believe that 4K content is still a really hot topic when it clearly shouldn't be.

Many broadcasters have not yet hit 1080P resolution but it never stopped anyone from buying a 1080P TV when content came much later.

And if content really matters most to you, then feel free to stick to a smaller screen because a 1080P resolution in something that's 75" or larger is not going to impress anyone.

The true purpose of 4K resolution has not been documented well enough, and I believe its time to refocus on its true purpose and move away from the availability of content.

As the saying goes. Build it, and they will come! The more 4K televisions in use, the more content will be produced.

We saw this with 1080P, and Bluray movies followed soon after. 3D TV's came, and 3D Blurays followed soon after. This circle of evolution will never stop.
      I'm excited about the products hitting stores this year. I'm more excited by how relevant 4K is to justifying a really large screen purchase.

24. rogdodge

rogdodge

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +497
      I agree with Bmars. The debate should be about 4K/UHD TVs and their abilities; whether they produce better PQ, less motion blur etc. The matter of the dearth of transmitted 4K programmes and if they will ever appear is moot. ;)

Just make them FALD, please. :lease: