CE industry shudders as UK Opposition ponders plasma ban

Tech News

Reaction score
The UK consumer electronics industry has been left reeling after The Quality of Life Policy Group, a think-tank for the Conservative Party proposed a ban on plasma TVs and other large-consumption electrical appliances. LCD-only TV vendors, who might be privately pleased at any anti-plasma rhetoric, would do well to prepare their defense; in reality, [...]
More...

:eek: O MY GOD.... A Ban or a Cunsumption Tax !!!! that is unbelievable.......
I already get penalised for a large engined car.... what ever next.... Where is the Petition for large TV Owners !!

I can't ever see this happening as it is relatively easy to demonstrate that lcd screens use just as much electricity in real world usage, so if they were to ban one they would have to ban both and that would just be too big a vote loser for any government to seriously consider

That lot seem to jump on anything to get votes. I'm amazed they would even consider wasting time on this. Gordon must be loving their stupidity.

What a bunch of t*ssers!

I already PAID MORE VAT when i bought my big screen TV and I PAY MORE electric when using my tv rather than a 14" portable.
So i don't pay enough now?

Watch out another Stealth Tax the future goverments would love to slide under your butt cheeks... pukker up everyone!! :suicide:

Anyone that wants to sound off at these idiots can do so here:

http://www.qualityoflifechallenge.com/Contact_Us.htm

This proves one thing,the Tory's would stealth tax the life out of us just as much as Labour, remember when john major put vat on fuel !

After Plasmas will be fridges, freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines, whisks, electric fires, fans, central heating, lights, telephones, iPods, VCRs, DVD players, tumble dryers, electric toothbrushes - blankets, showers, cookers, power drills, freeview boxes, deep fat fryers, Dysons, Hoovers, toasters, irons, power stations - yawn... !

(It's the 6.5 billion that's the real problem - but we won't admit it..)

After Plasmas will be fridges, freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines, whisks, electric fires, fans, central heating, lights, telephones, iPods, VCRs, DVD players, tumble dryers, electric toothbrushes - blankets, showers, cookers, power drills, freeview boxes, deep fat fryers, Dysons, Hoovers, toasters, irons, power stations - yawn... !

they will want us to live in caves in a couple of years time:D

(It's the 6.5 billion that's the real problem - but we won't admit it..)

Good grief, it was 4 and a bit billion when I was a kid and I'm only in my 40's :eek:
I would think you're probably not far off mate :(

Good grief, it was 4 and a bit billion when I was a kid and I'm only in my 40's :eek:
I would think you're probably not far off mate :(
Part of Microsoft's advertising campaign for the original XBox,was to quote the world pop at that time,which was 6 billion.Instead of Plasma's,let's ban babies for a few years,one of the few things the Chinese got right:rotfl:

You can never trust the British government. Any of 'em - it doesn't matter who's in power.

Don't forget the upcoming tax on wheely bins - the chips come out easy btw. Done that as soon as I got mine.

Then they tried to tax clothes and magazines.

Fuel tax would have been 17.5% but they it was dropped down.

I'm not even gonna mention the petrol tax and the smokin' ban and the stupid turning off your tv's - How many tv's turned off would equal a 747 taking off.

What next: Tax for every log you drop down the loo? Turd meters fitted.

Part of Microsoft's advertising campaign for the original XBox,was to quote the world pop at that time,which was 6 billion.Instead of Plasma's,let's ban babies for a few years,one of the few things the Chinese got right:rotfl:

Nah that was the Dreamcast's European advertising. "Dreamcast - Six Billion Players" or something to that effect!

Nah that was the Dreamcast's European advertising. "Dreamcast - Six Billion Players" or something to that effect!
Microsoft also quoted the figure to promote XBox Live.The ironic thing is that our nation is introducing all these so called green policies,but we're in bed with USA.Maybe it's just me,but all those single driver SUV's don't look too environment friendly.Plus,good 'ol George W Bush has practically told the rest of the world he doesn't give a ****,so what's the point?

In fact, my post above 're current world population was too low - see here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop
(I wonder what the human race will do when our kids run out of oil and their kids run out of many metals - see a recent New Scientist article. Marooned on a rock facing extinction.. Stephen Hawking knows what to do.. End of rant.)

Never mind baning large tv's, wait till the bbc wants to charge you by the inch for your tv licence?

So a Plasma should be banned when used by a person for 20 hours viewing a week but an LCD is ok when viewed for 100 hours a week?

its almost like they want people to leave the country.
Im seriously considering moving to Canada, where the country is just more sensible. Off topic i know, but our nanny state governments (i think they are all the same, just battling for PR) are really starting to make stupid decisions... i cant believe they even have a 'think tank' worrying about TV usage - what about crime, education, the shocking 1.something % pay rise they are trying to give our nurses... i could rant here for hours -but wrong thread to do so :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom