1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDT20R T2L upgrade from CD20T + knackered DAB module?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Pugs1, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi guys,

A few questions which i would like help on :clap:

1: I have a CD20T connected to a DPA32 (192) DAB. Would it be worth upgrading the CD20T to a CDT20R T2L?

2: Where would i get one and can i still get hold of the sync link leads?

3; Anyone wanting to part with a silver CDT20R T2L?

4: Would the sound quality upgrade be worth while?

Finally any DPA32 owners ever had problems with the volume cutting out. I had to send my unit back a couple of times and they never did find the problem. However my DAB does not search anymore on boot up and due to moving house I can't test it at the moment (no outside aerial yet). What i do know is this, there is not even a signal or noise heard and no stations are returned. Is this due to aerial strength or have they knackered my DAB module? :eek:

Thanks

2. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    1) May well be; if it can be done - although a silver CDT20 went on eBay for £380, so probably cheaper (and certainly quicker) to buy another!
    There is a "white paper" about the technical differences on the Tag website.

2)The T2L sync cable is just a bog standard RCA-RCA phono - nothing fancy. The TagTronic programming cable (for the DPA) is on sale at hifibitz for £39.99.

3) You just missed one on eBay!

Not sure about "Sound Quality" - the T2L is about reducing jitter and timing errors; although there is a whole heap of resonance damping material fixed to the inside of the transport at upgrade. I've not done an A-B comparison.

You've worried me with the last bit; I've sent my other DPA (with DAB!) to IAG for the DAC upgrade - hope they don't knacker the module!
    It should "search" regardless of signal strength, and "DAB" should appear in the upper LHS of the screen.
    The other way to tell would be to use "MENU" and scroll though the options - if the DPA is detecting the module the DAB options will be there!

It may be something very very simple like the tiny ariel cable is disconnected from the module, or the module may not be firmly connected.

If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send you a .pdf of the module install instructions so you can check - otherwise... ?back it goes!

I hope that is of a little use.

3. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Thanks Mark,

I do have the DAB menu's i.e. erase stations, scan stations etc and when I select DAB input the DAB logo appears in the top right of the screen, however it still won't search for stations on boot up. Maybe they've forgot to plug in the aerial which you metioned, that would make sense as it appears that the module is recognised! How hard is it to take it to pieces (DPA)? :rolleyes:

4. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Ok, I've checked inside and everything seems fine. Moved the amp upstairs and around the house still no signal, nothing. I would have thought that even the inside ariel would have picked something up :mad:

5. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Any solution yet? My brand new DAB module does search for DAB stations but finds none.... Side by side, a test Technics DAB tuner, connected to the same aerial tuned all DAB stations in the area easily.... DAB module is neatly packaged for a scheduled DHL collection, back to IAG.... frustration, frustration....

Luis

6. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Check the connection between the internal aerial lead and the DAB module.

Try unplugging the little connector. Inside the internal aerial connector there is a little pin, which should fit in the corresponding socket of the DAB card.

This may be bent, and embedded in the insulating plastic ring of the DAB card therefore not conducting! It is a simple matter to straighten and (carefully!!) re-insert, thus connecting the DAB card to the aerial again!

Then phone/e-mail the help desk for another internal aerial lead.

This sorted a problem with identical symptoms.

Let us know how you get on!

7. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, but I did check that already, and all is well with the aerial lead. I'm returning the module after a lot of troubleshooting with Phil Watson.

Luis

8. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Oh well, shame it isn't anything simple.

9. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh yes if it is....... This has been going on for more than a month now and grinds in the back of my brain....

Luis

10. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Update: Phil emailed me saying: "...there's a fault with the internal aerial lead..." I wonder what may be wrong with such a simple thing, which I had to wait for so long, anyway. The lead, that is, since they sent me the DAB module and the lead a week later.....

Luis

11. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Update:

Still no joy on my DAB.

Think i'm going to have to get hold of a techie. I just hate talking to them because they seem to think your making it all up, well in my past experiences anyway...

If only they would send a DAB and cable to check against, rather than me packing the DPA up and not seeing it for 2 months :rolleyes: