1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDs through a 3805 - help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by superpixel, Jun 7, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a DVD player is connected digitally to an AV amp, eg the Denon 3805, then I switch from playing a DVD in Dolby 5.1 to a Audio CD what happens with:

1) The volume (CDs have a much higher output, so does this mean I have to keep turning the volume up and down or can the input sensitivity be changed on the ONE digital input automatically recognising DVD or CD).
    2) The surround sound mode (which comes on automatically, and can it be changed).

Only thought of this potential problem now :rolleyes:

Ta muchly.

PS anyone's experiences on the Denon 3805 versus Harman Kardon 630? And can the input names and sensitivites actually be changed on the Denon?

2. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi superpixel, I use a single digital coax lead to get 5.1 but I use a pair of stereo interconnects coming out of the back of the same DVD player plugged into the cd input, just switch between the DVD and CD option on your amp and IMHO the sound of CD's is better through a decent pair of analogue interconnects than through a single digital interconnect.

Just my 2 rupees worth :D

Gav

3. pacificwave123

pacificwave123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This response is for SUPERPIXEL

1)It is normal for CD's to sound louder than DVD's. There is lesser compression and a higher output level on CD's.

2)You can only change the surround mode if you are listening to an analog or PCM source (check the bitstream indicatior on the reciever). Example: the CD would be a PCM source and a VCR would be an analog source.

GAVP IS WRONG CD'S SOUND BETTER THROUGH A DIGITAL CABLE AS OPPOSED TO AN ANALOG CABLE! ASK ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS AND THEY WILL AGREE WITH ME! :mad:

I don't have much experience with Denon recievers but I am familiar with the sound of Harman Kardons since I have A Harman Kardon AVR520, so my opinion on sound would be bias towards Harman Kardon. If you are happy with the sound of your Denon 3805 keep it, if not give the 630 a try, or the 635 which replaces the 630.

Hope I was able to help :)

4. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Regarding Digital or analogue cables..

It depends if the DVD Player of the Amp has the better DAC. If they had identical DACs then to be honest you probably wouldn't hear any different through either of them.

Chill out. He just asked a question.. he didn't want to start WW III.

:)

Steph

Try listening to it both ways superpixel and decide for yourself :)

5. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Hmmm IMHO stands for in my honest opinion in case you didn't know.....

Your statement is a little broad don't you think, if you look on the back of any AV amp there are inputs for both digital options and analogue inputs, I assume the Denon engineers who know a smidgeon about ELECTRONICS decided to do this to give people an option for their preferences?

Agree totally, if using a 3805 there is a Direct mode which is for stereo listening, I'm sure you could program this as your dedicated music option, not sure whether the input names and sensitivites actually be changed on the Denon though, sure there is a 3805 owner on the forum who can answer that one for ya.

Gav

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I know a little about electronics and I disagree with you totally. What sounds better is very subjective, and the way to determine what is best is to listen, not to blindly follow a premise that 'one is better than the other'. Some amps do analogue well, others excel at digital. Source is important, as is the quality of cables used. All in all, too many variables to make a statement like that. My ageing Sony definitely does analogue better using my source and my cables.

7. pacificwave123

pacificwave123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I sounded a bit opinionated before but I personaly have gotten better sound when I used a digital cable as opposed to two analog cables(both digital and analog cables are high quality monster cable that I used) :D I also thought that the Denon receiver's D/A converters would most likely be higher quality than the DVD players since the Denon 3805 retails for a very large sum of money.

Also I thought of the fact that if the analog outputs would be used the signal would have to be converted from D/A then outputted through the DVD player, then A/D if a surround mode like pro-logic would be used, and then go through anouther D/A converter to go through the amp. However if a digital cable is used the signal would only have to go through one D/A conversion before it goes to the amp, and technically speaking the less D/A and A/D conversion a signal has to go through the better it will sound.

Again sorry if I sounded a bit opinionated I didn't mean to offend anyone. :)

8. dagkr

dagkr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I discovered something today in my AVR 635 while I was trying Analog cables from my DVD player to CD input that might be helpful for some HK owners.

If you turn off DSP in the Surround Off mode, you'll get a huge sound level increase. I thing the increase in volume is about 15db on the volume level.
    Earlier I played my CDs over Coax with the Surround Off + DSP, couldn't turn off DSP over Coax, but when using analog on the CD it suddenly turned off and wow what a great volume increase.

Could be interesting to get some AVR 635 owners to try this out in case it's just an error with my AVR. The difference in sound level is that huge so it might be my DSP level which are set too low or something.

A tip to turn off the DSP, you need to disable the Tone option as well, and I had to use the OSD menu to get this option available.

rgds

Dag

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i use a Denon 3803 (prev model to 3805) and a 3910 DVD player

and i find i much prefer the DVD player to do CD decoding work......i also found this when i used the shops demo setup as well with the 3805 and 3910......

for DD or DTS it varies, for some reason some of my discs i let the 3910 do the work, others i let the 3803 do the work.......cuz i listen to DVD-A/SACD and the 3803 doesnt have denonlink i already have 6 channel input connections setup so i can choose who does the decoding...lol

however, now my 3910 has to do the CD decoding work...cuz its CD output sockets are hooked up to a Musical Fidelity A5 amp and GR10 speakers just for stereo sound.......and boy am i wearing a big cheesy grin atm..hehe :)