1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD's rattle in the DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whatdoiknow, Feb 1, 2005.

1. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, just after Christmas I ventured into the world of DVD (better late than never) as my two boys were bought a DVD for Christmas. As if just dipping my toe in the water I went for one of the supermarket cheapies a Hikona (I think that's what it is I'm at work at the moment).

Anyway it played the DVD we had no problems and played my CD's which I have to admit sounded quite good through my TV speakers, but trying a CD yesterday it sounded as if the CD itself was rattling away in the player, I tried several more and about one in ten seemed OK the rest rattled away.

I will take it back to Tesco but has anyone any ideas what it might be so that I can sound very technical when I am explaining the problem to customer services.

Thanks,

Martin

P.S. Do any DVD players have the ability to program and play selected tracks on a CD as this model wouldn't.

2. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Martin,

I have experienced this for the first time this weekend. I bought a copy of The Grudge and it isthe only DVD of nearly 1500 that I have that I have heard rattle in the transport of the player.

Strange for cds and DvDs to do this, but I think it has something to do with the labelling of the disc. The copy of The Grudge has a vvery thick and heavily embossed label.

I tried it on three other players around my house and all of them struggled to play this disc.

Not sure if this helps!!

3. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Mose, I wondered if it had anything to do with labelling or the quality of the CD as the first one it did it on was one that came free with a newspaper.

Anyway when I get home I will try some more CD's and I've also got hold of a couple more DVD's so I will try them.

Regards,

Martin

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine you are more likely to get a problem of any kind with a supermarket budget player, than if you'd stepped up that tiny bit further.

The Toshiba SD240 is available for about £40 now. My girlfiend has the older SD330 and it has never let us down yet. The SD240 has had excellent reviews too. If I was you I would try and return the Hikona, and go buy a Tosh 240. You will more than likely have it a LOT longer.

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that I will see what Tesco's have to say.

I didn't want to spend too much at the moment as in the next couple of months I will have to get DVD Recorder with HDD as I also produce videos to sell on a very small basis and I am being asked for DVD's now, but this would reside with my editing suite.

Regards,

Martin

6. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you bought your DVD player from Tesco, you will be able to exchange it for Tosh 240 there and then. I think they do them for about £45.

7. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for that GFS.

Martin