1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDs from 35mm Film

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by lightningvictim, Feb 21, 2003.

1. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My fiancee still uses her beloved 35mm Olympus Trip camera and is persisting in ticking the box to get a CD alongwith the prints - the quality of these prints is ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING - my scanner and printer can produce better results on its most basic colour settings! My scanner can go up to 2400x2400dpi and my printer does 1200x1200 so when I take the time I can produce excellent repos from the print itself.

She tends to use Truprint or Doubleprint but for just now I have told her not to bother and I am doing the scanning myself...

Does anyone else use a similar 355m to CD-ROM service?
    If you have had satisfactoy results who do you use?

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    A friend of mine used it once, cost him alot and was just abysmal, looked like someone had scanned it at 50dpi and then just upsampled it to 600 and enlarged it, the scan was shockingly bad! The colour was laughable and one look at the levels in Photoshop revealed how little information was actually captured.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've used Jessops CD+prints before when the film was first developed from a Minolta SLR.The results were excellent,with a choice of low and high resolution images (1840x1232) on the CD.

I printed out some enlargements myself from the CD and they were great with loads of detail.

Are you sure that you're not viewing the images from the low resolution folder on the CD?

See my website for examples > http://www.pbase.com/dvdcinema/waynes_world

4. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, I am confused. You already have the prints, and the negatives, yet you want to print from the cd? Reprints from the negs is best..and I hope yre not trying to print from the low res files.. Normal resolution on film to cd is 1532x1048 but you can ask for 3000x2000 at extra cost! Ask.
    PS Using Truprint and that other lot is asking for trouble..try using any Fuji Image Service outlet or Jessops.

5. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The main purpose of the CD's were so that my fiancee could send pictures to her family who live in Portsmouth via email (without me having to get involved).

The whole point is you are paying for a service that is totally inadequate and the point of a forum is to discuss/publicise these sorts of inadequacies. The process involved is not difficult and if the companies are taking £3-4 a shot for performing the service then they should at least be doing a half decent job of it.......

As yet nobody has came to their defence so I just assume that the poor quality we have recieved is PAR for the service and I would advise anyone to stay away from it - either DIY or pay the premium of the Jessops/Fuji service!

Cheers
    Les
    (Just getting down from his soapbox!)

6. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did you pay for your cd? Most seem to charge £4.99 for a cd full of 40 pictures (if ordered at the same time as your D&P) that is hardly expensive! Some even charge as little as £2.99. And your experience is not, as far as I have seen, usual. If they are as bad as you say, contact the company directly and tell them, as it really should be fine.

7. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I sold all my Nikon gear to go digital, but I did have one film that had been developed and had a cd as well. I have just had a look and all the picture files are around 4-5MB in size, so would be to big to email anyway without broadband. Just found the photos and they were done at Boots. Check what size yours are on the cd. VMax

8. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, Boots currently charging only 99p extra with their one hour service. Resolution is around 1,800 x 1,200 (plus low res as well) - I would prefer much more.

9. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    VMAX
    Just checking a CD from DoublePrint - they send one CD per 25mm spool.
    In the Pictures directory there are five categories - Large, Medium, Small, Thumb and Tiny. The "Large" Images range in size from 500-700K - the "Tiny" ones are 4-5K each!

I checked out one of the "Large" images in PainShop Pro v6

Dimensions 1536x1024 Pixels (6.00x4.00inches)
    Pixels per Inch 256
    Pixel Depth/Colours 24/16Million

The total data on the CD including the viewing programs, shockwave flash etc is 56Mb - so it ain't the space it is obviously just a cheap system they have and once again I will say NOT worth the money.

As I said a few posts back these cheap postal services may deliver quality for the prints but stay away from their CD service...

10. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The large file will give you the equivalent of a 1.5 mega pixel camera. Perfect I would have thought for your email requirments. It seems they have jpeg it to half its file size. I may be stating the obvious, but a common problem is the repeated saving of changes to an image as a jpeg. Each time you save, compression artifacts will accumulate, degrading the image. Could that be a reson your images are so poor? If not, then, as you say, cheap is not always cheeful!

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I did mention Jessops resolutions are 1840x1232 (10x8in),so they are definately better than by post.

12. stephenseddon

stephenseddon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive always used a fuji digital imaging service in Burnley for my 35mm processing. They also give a free cd rom. Their website is www.thewholepictureonline.co.uk and they do offer a mail order service, although i've never used it coz I live in Burnley to start with, hence no need. There CDrom scanning is pretty good tho. I hope this helps?

Cheers
    Steve :)

oh, not too sure if this forum lets me post web address, if not try thewholepictureonline co uk.

13. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,911
    You're replying to a 6yr old thread.

14. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Welcome Stephen :). It may be an old thread but it is always handy to know of companies giving good service :thumbsup:.