CD's & AV's

Mike-M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
If I want an AV Amp which is good at playing CD's, but in surround sound not stereo, should I look at ones said to be better with music such as Nad and Marantz or should I be looking at ones better with surround sound such as Denon.

If you're looking for something that is good for music (whether in stereo or surround) then your best bet is to go for a musical receiver like an Arcam or Marantz imo.

To my ears the Denon isn't that great for music.

Never heard of Circle Surround 2 before. Done a quick search seems to be a feature of Marantz gear only. Is that right?

I'm pretty sure it's not just Marantz (although they're the main user in the UK). It's made by SRS and I think is a derivative of Lexicon's Logic 7, perhaps someone more knowledgable could help? Nad's proprietry EARS (Enhanced Ambient Recovery System) is also supposed to be more "natural" with music. For any other 2-channel source then you won't find better than the latest incarnations of Pro Logic 2 though IMO.

Either way, a Marantz or NAD amp would be an excellent choice if surround music is important to you or investigate the second hand market for seperate processors and power amps. It really depends on your budget. :)

Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards NAD as I've had their gear in the past.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom