Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

CDP upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ChrisE2, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ChrisE2

ChrisE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help re a CDP upgrade.

Having replaced my VHF tuner with a DAB (Sony SDB900 - excellent buy!) and am building a 2nd system for my kitchen/family room. Have bought an amp off Ebay (Rotel 810) and am now looking for a CDP. I have some half decent Akai speakers in situ.

The question is do I take my CDP from my main system and upgrade there or buy a cheap and chearful CDP from Ebay?

Main system is Cyrus IIIi + PSX/Acoustic Energy Speakers/Pioneer PDS901 + Micromega Duo BS2 DAC.

I am wondering about a Cyrus CD7Q + PSX upgrade for the main system and using the Pioneer CDP for the second system.

The Pioneer PDS 901 is about 12 years old and built like a tank. It does not get heavy use. The Micromega is about 10 years old.

Am I wasting my money considering the Cyrus CD7Q+PSX or has technology moved on so much that I will notice a significant improvement?

Should I replace the DAC but keep the PDS901 as a transport?

Basically the choice is between £50 for a cheap and chearful CDP for system 2 and maybe £800 for an upgrade to system 1.

Some input on the relative merits would be appreciated.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    :smashin:

I suppose you also have a DVD player to do this task ?

Get a DAC.

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The cyrus CD7Q is meant to be an excellent piece of kit. Apparently it's easily on a par with the CD8, and with a PSX-R it would probably surpass it.

I was going to suggest the DAD3Q24, as it's cheaper and a damn fine player (if I do say so myself :D ). I would go for a cyrus player as I love the look and the sound of them. Matching your IIIi can only be a good thing surely?

Move the old CDP to the kitchen and upgrade your CDP for your main system.