1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDP upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ChrisE2, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ChrisE2

ChrisE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help re a CDP upgrade.

Having replaced my VHF tuner with a DAB (Sony SDB900 - excellent buy!) and am building a 2nd system for my kitchen/family room. Have bought an amp off Ebay (Rotel 810) and am now looking for a CDP. I have some half decent Akai speakers in situ.

The question is do I take my CDP from my main system and upgrade there or buy a cheap and chearful CDP from Ebay?

Main system is Cyrus IIIi + PSX/Acoustic Energy Speakers/Pioneer PDS901 + Micromega Duo BS2 DAC.

I am wondering about a Cyrus CD7Q + PSX upgrade for the main system and using the Pioneer CDP for the second system.

The Pioneer PDS 901 is about 12 years old and built like a tank. It does not get heavy use. The Micromega is about 10 years old.

Am I wasting my money considering the Cyrus CD7Q+PSX or has technology moved on so much that I will notice a significant improvement?

Should I replace the DAC but keep the PDS901 as a transport?

Basically the choice is between £50 for a cheap and chearful CDP for system 2 and maybe £800 for an upgrade to system 1.

Some input on the relative merits would be appreciated.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    :smashin:

I suppose you also have a DVD player to do this task ?

Get a DAC.

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The cyrus CD7Q is meant to be an excellent piece of kit. Apparently it's easily on a par with the CD8, and with a PSX-R it would probably surpass it.

I was going to suggest the DAD3Q24, as it's cheaper and a damn fine player (if I do say so myself :D ). I would go for a cyrus player as I love the look and the sound of them. Matching your IIIi can only be a good thing surely?

Move the old CDP to the kitchen and upgrade your CDP for your main system.