Question CDP headphone socket

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dazse, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dazse

dazse
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Sony CDP-228ESD and I currently listen with headphones only, Grado SR60.

I was wondering if the headphone socket on the cdp is as good a quality as the rest of the cdp or would I get a decent improvement using an external amplifier?

I do have a set of Kef Crest 1's spare and would link these to the amp for occasional listen but would consider just a headphone dac/amp if the improvement would be considerable. Don't have loads to spend so would probably trawl eBay for an amp from the same era as the cdp and I do like Sony products.

Any advice appreciated.

2. dazse

dazse
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify, my CDP-228ESD has a built in headphone jack with its own volume control which I am using. If I added an amplifier with optical connection to the cdp and then used the amps headphone jack would this be any better?

Thanks.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    Plenty of small headphone amps available but the best can be just as expensive new as a fairly good full size stereo amp. I have a new Marantz CD player which is just being used for it's headphone socket. I experimented with running it through an ancient Onkyo stereo but much preferred the sound direct from Marantz. Maybe you could get better performance from different phones?

4. dazse

dazse
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have seen the Chord mojo etc which for £400 is a bit out of my price range, although has very good reviews. I might look at different headphones but would probably have to pay similar amounts to better the grado's.

Maybe someone knows of an good amp that had put extra effort into the quality of the headphone jack that I could track down secondhand.

Thanks.