cdm1nts+myrad, is this combo likly to better what i have already demoed,views please

mick23

Standard Member
Reaction score
tried cdm1nts with arcam a85/densen beat100/roksan caspian/,myrad 120i integrated has been suggested ,(power amp can be added if need be,at later stage, also considering primare 30,but no dealer in my area , or possibly music/fid 3.2 no knowledge of myrad £700+power is about £1200) advice please

Mick, your going round in circles, try a pair of laid back speakers with your existing A85, try a pair of Neat Critiques, if you give Neat a call, they are in Barnard Castle they can put you on to a local dealer.

Give them a try, none of the amps you suggest are going to be any less strident in your system than the A85, your just going to be dissapointed again and to the tune of 1200 quid.

There are lots of other speakers with a laid back sound, but the B & W s are not. Im suggesting trying the critiques because I have heard them work in similar situations. Dont buy, try for at least 3/4 days.

not got a85 anymore got refund, have 3802, cdm1nts as fronts lc60 centre 600s3 as rears, so i would like to keep fronts in (b&w) family, bit stuck between 2 alternatives, trade in cdm1nts and go for something like b&W 603s2 +cheaper amp ,or keep cdm1nts +an amp that suits, the latter alternative seems to require amps in the dearer end of market, trying to find an amp i (like the sound off ) then look for ex demo or 2nd hand, its getting a right dilema, i think what your getting at is cdm1nts are not partically (mellow type sounding speakers) regardless of what amp is partnered with them, thanks again

Yes, got it in one. Thing is, speakers give you the correct flavour ( if you can use that expression ) or tone of sound. The amp then gives the presentation, so that a Naim NAP 250 partnered with a pre will have fantastic grip on the speakers, giving driving solid base, but missing out on the ultra lows and highs. A big A class like a musical fidelity will give a warmer sound with more bottom end bass and usualy a sweeter top end. A older quad would give a very neutral sound, good for listening to the tone of different speakers. If you try Rogers LS range BBC ref speakers, you can listen to what an amp is doing ( struggling if it is low powered ).

Get the speakers right, then you can play around with different amp combinations. If your speakers dont sound right now, no matter how many amp combos you try, you will never get the sound you want. Believe me, Ive been there and got the tee shirt.

In general, smaller speakers give better imaging and usualy give better timing.

Bigger speakers usually miss out a bit on timing but give greater amounts of low bass. This can get excessive in smaller rooms.

Alternatives to all this are quad electrostatics, miss out on slamming bass, but the openess and imaging are fantastic.

Hope this helps

thanks k, i sent cdm1nts back to b&w last week (got a high pitch pop type noise whilst playing r2 gladiater through them some time ago) dealer said they were ok, i am not so sure, will give b&w a buzz see what the outcome is (speakers ok????)etc then for time being use with 3802, untill i find a solution(problem is chopping and changing gets a bit expensive) thanks again

Yes, but just get a home demo of some speakers, I would recommend the Neats. No cost implication, the dealers should just let you try them. Ifnot, dont use the dealer>

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom