CDKeys want me to send proof of identity

Adcook

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just tried to order the new GRID game from CDKeys, a retailer I have used several times in the past with (almost) no problems. They put my order on hold and asked me to:

Provide them with a photo of valid ID such as a Driving License, Passport, or National ID card by taking a piece of paper and writing today's date and time, along with "CDKeys.com" on it and taking a picture of the ID and the piece of paper in a single photo and sending it to them.

Has anyone else had this? Whilst I don't think for one minute its any kind of SCAM, this seems a bit of an insecure way of verifying identity. I should say I paid via PayPal and have offered to provide them with my debit card instead as an alternative payment method and as a way to verify I am who I say I am but they have declined and said they will cancel the order.

well the refund was instant despite them saying it would take up to 3 days so I might try again with my debit card.

Actually yeah could be that, I'm ordering from work.

But irrespective it’s a massive invasion of privacy in my opinion. To me it suggests they have had issues and been scammed themselves and are now implementing this “method” to protect themselves. I’d politely decline and tell them i Won’t buy from them again until they get their house in order. Plenty of other options

But irrespective it’s a massive invasion of privacy in my opinion. To me it suggests they have had issues and been scammed themselves and are now implementing this “method” to protect themselves. I’d politely decline and tell them i Won’t buy from them again until they get their house in order. Plenty of other options

Yeah I tried again using my debit card and the same happened so I will look elsewhere.

Online retail should be built on simplicity for the customer. Frankly bizarre behaviour by an outfit that have worked so hard to been seen as a legit platform for games. Wasn’t so long ago the CD key thing was seen massive risk by loads of gamers. Now it’s mainstream. Big step backwards For them

UPDATE: They have approved my debit card order. They initially put it on hold subject to another identity check but just now I got an email, maybe they read this thread.

Hello,

We really appreciate your patience on this. I'm pleased to say that your order has now been reviewed and approved successfully.

To access your download, please open the order confirmation email we sent you (make sure to check your junk folder too) and click on the 'Download' link.

We hope that you'll be enjoying your purchase very soon.

Kind Regards,
Customer Care Team

UPDATE: They have approved my debit card order. They initially put it on hold subject to another identity check but just now I got an email, maybe they read this thread.
Glad it worked out for you. I've been using CD Keys for a few years now and never had any bother with them. They do have some superb bargains every now and again.

I had this with the last 2 orders I made with CJS Keys. It's all a bit of a palava when you want the code instantly. I've since swapped to CD Keys and have never been asked by them. I guess they have their reasons but it completely removes the convenience of buying a digital code.

Also used them tons of times (infact bought grid myself just half an hour ago). So good that keys comes thru instantly. Always use same pc and never had issue buying (paypal)
25.99 better than 44.99 :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom