cd92 versus cd23

proux

Novice Member
I have added a CD92 to my system, and find it vastly nicer than my DV79 for CD replay. The question to people who have experience of both is: would a CD23 sound similar, but much better?:confused: I listen to most kinds of music, but very little classical- a lot of jazz and world fusion.

The result will of course be influenced by the rest of my kit- AVR300, Castle compact floorstanders, Chord Chameleon IC. So, if the difference would only be clear in a true high end system, then maybe I wouldn't notice it at all?

Many thanks :)

Druboo

Novice Member
Glad you have managed to get hold of a dedicated cd player at last :smashin: (Have noticed you bidding on a cd192 and a previous cd92 that I was keeping an eye on ;) )

How are you connecting it?

Bearing in mind what these babies are going for (secondhand) I think I am going to go down the Squeezebox 3 / large external hard drive route.

Enjoy

proux

Novice Member
Hey, nothing secret in this world anymore! ;)

I agree prices on ebay are more than I would have liked (although the CD192 was good value at just over 400), but it means you wont lose much if you resell! The difference of the cd92 vs dv79 IS worth it IMO with good recordings, maybe not so much in your average pop / dance disc. Also, at present I have a lot of free time to listen to music, otherwise wouldnt have bothered / spent.

I use a Chord Chameleon Silver plus which sounds great, marginally but again significantly better on some recordings than a Monster m400. Not using the CD92 digital out, would beat the point of having it! Also added a Russ Andrews yello power cable, not sure if it makes any difference at all.

Druboo

Novice Member
Thanks for the info (Where's the thanks button gone btw?) No doubt I will carry on looking (As well as SB HD combo).

Thanks for your link to the JVC cables as well :smashin: Best go and get some DVD - A's to try them out.

proux

Novice Member
So, if nobody has an an answer... :lease:

I guess I will have to buy both and then decide which one to sell? :eek: :

OrangeHifi

Novice Member
I have a cd23t. I have never sonically compared the cd92 and the cd23t, but technically spoken the cd92 and the cd23t use the same ringDAC technology (dCs). The main difference is that the cd23t has a better damped casework (acousteel), an aluminium frontplate (9mm) and a separate powersupply for the DAC.

In a discussion on a Dutch hififorum, people who heared both players, said there wasn't a substantial sonic difference, but just subtle ones like a tighter bass, more detail and a more spacious sound (all cd23t).

proux

Novice Member
Thanks for that! I have the CD92 now and it is good, and my amp and speakers probably arent good enough to pick out all the subtle differences... so I will relax and enjoy what I have! :thumbsup: