1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD82 vs DV79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Hifi addict, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am lucky to have both player at home for a 1 week test. I am still thinking on getting 1-in-all player OR a separate DVD and CD player, that's why I wanted to listen to a dvd and cd player.

The funny thing is... I just listened 1 hour or so, but can not hear a real difference between the CD82 and DV79. :lease: PLEASE HELP ME hear the differences. What do I need to focus on?

2 differences I noticed are on features: the CD82 has cd-text so you can see who is playing on the display. The DV79 has not ?
    also, pushing a number on my CR80 will work on the CD82. It jumps to that number, whereas on the DV79 this is not working. I changed the remote type in the setup menu of the DV79 but that still does not work.

But my main issue is: where are the differences in sound ??????? :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    TBH I think the CD performance of both players will be very similar, so if you want a single unit then I don't think you will be loosing much (if anything) with the DV79.

The differences to listen for are things like:
    The stereo imageing - can you place the individual musical instuments across the sound stage (turn out the lights or close your eyes, it does help!).
    How clearly can you hear individual instuments or voices.

Mark.

3. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

I did close my eyes ! and tried to pinpoint the different instruments. With some cd's I noticed that the position of the voices shifted a little bit to the left but that's it. Any advice is welcome!

4. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Im just wondering was it on the Dv79 or on the Cd82 that the position of the voices shifted a little bit to the left ?

5. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    euh... if I remember correctly it was on the cd82 that it shifted to the left

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I listened to both the cd82 and the DV89 in my system and thought there were almost the same.

How much is the cd82 vs the dv79??

7. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that information ! :) but you said almost the same ,so whats the little difference ?

8. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the voices exactly in the middle on DV79 ?

Couldnt it be background voices that you heard better on the cd82 and that they were on leftchannel ? listen on the same track w headphones and check it out !

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Well if anything the cd82 seemed a little brighter, I actually prefered the DV89 on redbook cd, and obviously it can spin DVD-A as well.
    But there wasn't alot in it, there was more difference between the cd82 and the cd72 than there was between the cd82 and the dv89.

Oh and I had a Denon player at the same time, does a 3800 sound right? anyway that was absolutely awful, just completly flat, no seperation, no soundstage.
    Also had a pioneer to try and that was just very bright, didin't get to listen to it for more than 3 or 4 tracks as I had had enough by then.

What I am trying to say is the Arcam dvd players seem to be able to spin cds very well, I have been happy with mine and it is the cheapest piece of electronics in my set up, I am upgrading it now I have the funds to do it properly, but I am going for a meridian which is a £3000+ player so you would expect it to be better.

10. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you describe the difference between cd72 and cd82/dv89 ?

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Not really, the cd82 just sounded better, I tried the 72 first and then the 82 and didn't notice a great deal, but then when I put the 72 back on it was obvious that something was lost. So I didn't bother listening to more than 30 seconds, just unplugged it and ruled it out.

12. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc and Sweden:

thanks a lot guys... again 1 step closer for me and some answers to your questions:
    the CD82 is 1000 euro's and the DV79 is 1700. (multiply by 0.7 to get pounds)

it differs from cd to cd, but not all voices are in the center all the time. It almost always is somewhat left from my center.... but could be something wrong with my accoustics as well as I have an odd speaker setting. I THINK I hear voices with the CD82 a little bit 'better defined'. I mean, the position is more "starts here, ends there" whereas the DV79 is "starts somewhat here, woubles around and ends there". But this is based on 1 track quick listening with some background noise, so I better wait this evening when everybody gets to bed :)

CD82 a little brighter... hmm I'll watch out for that.... maybe I can discover that as well. And if you think cd82-dv79 are alike... pfff good for me.
    I used a standard denon dvd player from my dealer (200 pounds) and it was AWFULL!
    when I switched between analogue denon cd play to digital/let my arcam do the decoding.... it was night and day difference !!! that's when I decided to go for a decent cd or dvd player.

Good suggestion by the way... I'll let the cd82 play some tracks and then go to the dv79 and see/hear if there are immediate differences to be heard.

13. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O, btw: do you know if the DV79 would be software upgradeable to 720P/1080i in the future or would new hardware (add-on board??) be needed for that ?

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    A new board would be needed, as there is only a de-interlacer in there at the moment.
    So it would need a scaler to be added too.

I don't think you have said what DVD player you are using at the moment. If that is alright for movies then you could consider a decent transport rather than a CD player.

15. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a DVD player at the moment.... :cool:
    and yes... those people still exists :D :blush:

that's the reason why I am listening to the DV79 and cd82 right now... want to decide if I would go for a dvd-recorder and cd player or a dvd player alone... now it looks that it could be a dvd player and cd player OR a state of the art dvd player like dv29 :suicide:

Sad thing that Arcam did not put cd-text into the DV79

16. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to my local dealer today and ordered the DV79. It's on stock so I should get it this friday. Thanks for all the advice guys