1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD82 to 192 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mkot2905, Oct 30, 2004.

1. mkot2905

mkot2905
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Did anyone make this upgrade? How was it?

Is anyone aware of whether this upgrade results in an identicle spec to a new CD192 or does it only add the upsampling and therefore amount to a CD93 in reality? Did arcam really change the upsampling module between CD93 and CD192 or was it other things?

Thanks for any feedback as I am trying to decide whether to make thsi upfrade or try another CD player. Upgrade is cost effective of course but am looking for something a bit more exciting and involving than the CD82 since upgrading to am FMJ33 amp.

2. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there

I have just uipgraded my CD82 to the new CD192. I went to my excellent local dealer (Music Matters in Birmingham) who had assembled an almost identical system to my own where I auditioned the '192 against my '82.

I listened to my player first, which sounded fine, and then to the '192. This sounded a little more focused with detailed yet smoother treble, warmer midband and tighter deeper fast bass. The difference didn't seem enormous untill I swithed back to my '82 which sounded a bit dull, flat and lifeless with a much narrower soundstage in comparison. I listened to the two players for over two hours just to be certain and then out came the plastic. For £500 it's an absolute bargin for any CD82 owner.

As far as I know the only differences between an upgraded player and the new are minor improvemnts to the chassis and power supply, otherwise they are identical. Whilst the CD93 is also an upsampling player Arcam have used there knowledge gained with the CD93 and CD33 to produce a player with more verve and agility. If What Hi-Fi? are to be believed the '192 even uses better quality components and sounds better than the CD33!!

The '192 did sound a little harsh when I first wired it up this morning but now sounds fantastic and keeps on improving whilst its running in.

It's worth improving the power cable as this gives the sound more bite and dynamic range. Anyone who thinks that this is a load of rubbish should buy one from Russ Andrews who will give you back your money if you don't like the product. Give the Classic Powerkord a try, I doubt that you'll be returning it!

Hope that this is of use to you!

Phil :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

3. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have a CD73 which may be subject to upgrade to 192 in the future. When you mention the minor improvements to chassis etc, do you know if this was something that was already done on the CD73 when it was released. I'm just wondering if I did upgrade, whether I will get exactly the same as if I went out and bought a brand new 192, or whether again, my player would only get the electrics changed but the chassis/power supply etc not same as a new 192.????

4. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Er, I don't know for certain, but I think that the improvements are minor. Can either John Dawson or Andy Dutton confirm this please.

5. mkot2905

mkot2905
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

Sound absolutely convincing. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Please don't take my word for it, get a demo booked a hear for yourself. Just be ready to get out your wallet!

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

A CD73 upgraded with the upsampling DAC is the same as a CD192 in performance.

A CD72 or CD82 upgraded using the Upsampling DAC is similar but not exactly the same as a CD93. We made some improvements to the upsampling DAC for the CD192 so the upsampling DAC is now slightly different to the one used in the CD93. So it should sound slightly better than a CD93.

The upgrade does not include the new improved torroidal power supply used in the CD73 and CD192 or obviously the new chassis.

Regards,
    Andrew

8. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks v. much for this info. I was just curious whether the power and chassis modifications were already present on the CD73 or whether they were only done later when the 192 came out. That answers my question.

Regards

Jason.

9. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Andy for clearing up the mistake (from What Hi Fi? first review!)