1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD73 Transport mech. noise (advise needed)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Shaggybert, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys

I have owned a CD82 for a couple of years now, and overall have been very happy with it. However, I have always been frustrated by the fact that it cannot be put into "standby".

Recently, i got my hands on an absolute bargain CD73 from eBay, which I thought would solve the problem (thinking i could either keep the CD73 and sell the 82, or swap the DACs over).

However, when I got my hands on the 73 i noticed that the transport mech (or rather the draw mech.), sounded really loud and clunky.
    Even compared to my old NAD 521, opening and closing the disc draw sounds like someone dragging a bag of rusty spanners over a corrugated tin roof. So compared to the silky smooth mech of the 82, it sounds dreadful.

Is this purely because the mech. is a shoddy Sony, rather than the Philips of the 82?

Does anyone know if I can replace the Sony mech. in the 73 for a Philips one?

Is there anything that I can do to quieten the mech. myself (the unit is over two years old, so I'm not afraid to open it up)?

Or does the unit just need servicing (although thinking about it, the 73's that I have demoed also sounded clunky)?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help or advise you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The mechanisim on my CD73 has sounded like that from new - far far noisier than the mechanism on the DV79. Doesn't seem to be doing any harm though.

John

3. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No use to you Shaggy I know but the mechanism on my new CD36 is amazingly noisy, really quite clunky compared to the Philips (I think) drive in my old Marantz CD63 MkII KI. As the kit is so new I do notice it but I am sure I'll get used to it over time especially if it continues to play music so wonderfully well.

Cheers

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I concur, the disc tray on my CD36 is a bit clunky. However it doesn't look like it's about to fall apart and when it's shut and playing a disc is makes very nice noises indeed.

5. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your replys.

I have been listening to the player over the weekend, and it doesn't seem as bad as it initially did.

Still not sure which one to keep, and which one to sell. :)