1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD73 & CD192

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by David-Bel, Feb 3, 2005.

1. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one of these two Arcam CD player would you recommend to partner with my A90+ Dynaudio 52SE. Would they both be a significant upgrade versus my current Cambridge Audio 640C?

I'm extremely happy with the Cambridge (and not only for the price I could get it), but was just wondering whether an upgrade to a CD73 or CD192 would make sense.

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I got CD73 recently and its amazing . It is so smooth yet doesnt gloss over anything image is expansive . Compared with 192 I'd say the difference aint £450 but the beauty is you can upgrade CD73 to 192. Cambridge is worth every penny but the Arcam is better however you need to compare the 2 in your system to determine if the upgrade is enough to justify the extra outlay.
    I take it you have good quality interconnects as you might wanna try that route if you want to remain with the Cambridge but thats a whole different can of worms :eek:

3. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what you said I understand it is worth to borrow one of these two (or even both) players and give them a try. I'm gonna ask my local dealer.
    Thks

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thats the only way to do it if you aint sure. Have fun...........

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ive recently upgraded from a CD 72 and one of the players I listened to was the 192, it was better than the 72 but not worth the extra cash in my opinion. In the end I listened to a Meridian G07 and that really was a lot better so that got my cash although it was a lot more at £1600.

I would listen to both the 73 and the 192 but try something more expensive as you may feel its worth the extra.

6. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently home demo'd the following x3 CD players

Roksan kandy Mk111 - ok but not significantly better than my Rotel RCD-02.

Cyrus CD6 - Improvements in detail & power over my rotel but still not £250 better IMO.

Arcam 192 - Sign improvements over all other CD players. Fantastic power, refinement & detail. goose pimples !!

I demo'd the cd73T when I original purchased the Rotel RCD-02 & found it way too polite for my tastes (quite bass heavy music) so I biught the rotel.

I'm going to dmo the Cyrus CD8x soon so I will let you know how this goes but I think my money's on the Arcam 192.

I demo'd all this kit via my Pio ax5i.

I hope this helps

7. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks Matthew, I was just about to ask you to let us know about your demo of the Cyrus CD8x. You were faster.

I suspect the Cyrus will outperform the CD192, especially now with its "x" tweaked version, but as you know, the Cyrus is £150 more expensive than the Arcam. On the other hand, it can be upgraded with its PSX-R external power supply, which is a huge plus but then again, that means an extra outlay of something like £350/400... And, by knowing myself, I doubt I could resist, which is in my view a huge drawback...

I'll try to audition both players too in a not too remote future. But one thing I will definitely care about is to give a decent running-in to both players before making any comparison. And then I hope I'll know for myself which one has the best per pound value .

By the way, have you also considered the Naim Nait5i or the Roksan Caspian M Series-1? Just by curiosity.

Cheers,
    David

8. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

I had a stab in the dark the morning on ebay at a Cd192 & actually won!!

It has 20 months left on it's warrenty so hopefully it will be ok.

I agree about giving the kit when home demo'ing a run in, it especially made a diff with the CD6 & the 192 so I would imagine the same with the CD8x.

I may still cheakily home demo this players as I,m curious to see how it would perform.

The other option you could look into is buying a cyrus CD6 on ebay (selling for about 3300) & then upgrade it to the CD8x (£550, I think). You can also pick up a PSX-R for about £280.

This route may save you some money?

Cheers

Matt :beer:

9. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks Matt,
    This week-end, I'll normally bring home a CD192 and a Cyrus CD8x for a demo.

Good suggestion for ebay. Just like with the Cyrus CD6, I could also try to get a CD73 and upgrade it to a CD192. But considering buying on ebay, I've always been wondering whether a 2-year full warranty for the UK (like the one now available with the PSX-R) fully applies to the rest of Europe as well and especially to Belgium where I live.

More generally, If I were to buy an Arcam product for instance in the UK, would I still benefit from the manufacturer full warranty when I'm back in Belgium?
    Could maybe someone from Arcam answer that question? I would greatly appreciate.

10. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David,

Not too sure about your questions about European wide warrenties but I agree about the Arcam upgrade path.

The main reason why I was looking at the cyrus route was simply because there were alot more cd6's than Arcam 73,93,82 etc..

I hope you enjoy the 192 over the weekend

Matt

11. silvertone

silvertone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matthew, any luck with your in-home comparison of the Cyrus CD8x vs. the Arcam CD192?

thanks,

12. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Slivertone,

I want be doing this comparison now as I managed to jag a Arcam 192 of ebay for under £600 so I don't want to do the test in case the cyrus is better!!

I do know of a few others who are looking into this so search the forums & I'm sure you will find a comparison.

I'm very happy with the 192.

Cheers

Matt

13. silvertone

silvertone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, they're both highly praised players...I wasn't looking such much for which one is better per se, but rather disctintions in their sonic signatures. It'd be good to know....