CD36 On Order

gostan

Standard Member
Well, I have been demoing cd players for quite a while now and finally settled on an Arcam FMJ CD36, which I ordered from my dealer today. ETA in about a week.

After demoing a Jolida JD100A, Shanling CT100, Linn Ikemi, Meridian G08, Classe 100cdp and Ayre C7, I decided that I really enjoyed the detail and soundstage of the British players, with the best deal being available on the CD36. It will be mated with an AVP-700. Can't wait for delivery as cd's are not sounding too great on my Denon 2900.

Now my major upgrading will finally be finished.
 
W

WRG

Guest
gostan, when you mentioned the best deal available being on the CD36 did you mean money wise or quality? Just curious. I have the CD33 and simply love it :smashin:
 

gostan

Standard Member
WRG said:
gostan, when you mentioned the best deal available being on the CD36 did you mean money wise or quality? Just curious. I have the CD33 and simply love it :smashin:
I was referring to a combination of sound quality and price. I really enjoyed the overall balance of the Meridian G08, but not at $1500 US more msrp than the Arcam player. The Arcam player does sound really fabulous.
 

andym

Active Member
WRG said:
gostan, when you mentioned the best deal available being on the CD36 did you mean money wise or quality? Just curious. I have the CD33 and simply love it :smashin:

WRG, forgive the presumption, but I think I detect in your question a concern that the CD33 might be noticeably outclassed by the CD36. I had the same concern. If it's any comfort, I spent a *long* time auditioning a CD36 v a CD33 (via C31, 2 x P1, B&W 802D) using two copies of the same CD playing simultaneously - with a bit of effort you can get them pretty well in sync. It was a single-blind trial i.e. I didn't know which was being played but my tester did. This is a good test: it eliminates any problems of level-matching or big delays between comparisons. Also the subject doesn't have to (and shouldn't) change position: move four feet to the right (say) and the sound changes. Then I swapped roles and became the tester.

The results? Neither of us could reliably differentiate between the 33 and the 36.

They are both great machines and I'm staying with the 33.

Another result? I'm slowly working up the courage to splash out on the 802Ds but that's another story...

Andy

PS. If you listen as the discs are *loading* you can tell the two apart every time. The 36 is mechanically quite a bit noisier during the load phase than the 33. Once they're up and running, neither drive mechanism is audible from anything more than inches away.
 

gostan

Standard Member
WRG said:
gostan, when you mentioned the best deal available being on the CD36 did you mean money wise or quality? Just curious. I have the CD33 and simply love it :smashin:
I did look at some used CD33's on Audiogon, but as I have spent a bit of cash with my dealer upgrading pre-pro and amps, he gave me a fabulous deal on the CD36 that made it inconsequential to even consider purchasing a used CD33. And I never had the opportunity to make a direct comparison between the two.

Andy, I have N803's which I will be upgrading within the next year and I had the opportunity to listen to the 802D's. You definitely need to make that upgrade. WOW, what a great improvement in sound and balance.

Stan
 
W

WRG

Guest
Well actually, I guess the way I worded my last part of my post could leave that impression but I was just curious if it was the money or the quality that was the most appealing about the CD36. My comment about my CD33 was just a referrence to how pleased I am with Arcam players. I was very interested in the CD33 when I was looking for a player, but the very good discount I received because the CD36 was just released didn't hurt either :smashin:
 

gostan

Standard Member
FedEx delivered my CD36 yesterday and it has been running/breaking in continuously since 3 PM EDT Boston, MA USA.

I had been considering puchasing a tube player and I am now happy that I did not make that decision. The CD36 is all at once, musical, very detailed and produces a full open soundstage. Also, it balances very well with my system.

Some of my old cd's are sounding new and exciting once again. Another fine piece of equipment produced by Arcam.
 

andym

Active Member
gostan said:
Some of my old cd's are sounding new and exciting once again. Another fine piece of equipment produced by Arcam.

It's one of the high spots of this hobby isn't it? Suddenly you have a whole raft of 'new' CDs to go through; old favourites take on a new lease of life and reveal hitherto unappreciated detail. You sit down in the morning for 'just for a few minues' and suddenly you realise it's getting dark outside, and the mundane things of life are clamouring for your attention. Enjoy...

gostan said:
Andy, I have N803's which I will be upgrading within the next year and I had the opportunity to listen to the 802D's. You definitely need to make that upgrade. WOW, what a great improvement in sound and balance.

Stan, you're so right. Every time I listen to them I'm lost for words. The C31/P1 combination drives them superbly. Don't listen to any hi-fi saleman who says you need better amplification. There's a pair sitting in the living room right now, a weekend has somehow just vanished and I want to get back to them. I don't want to be at work...

Andy
 
C

CyrilD

Guest
andym said:
Stan, you're so right. Every time I listen to them I'm lost for words. The C31/P1 combination drives them superbly. Don't listen to any hi-fi saleman who says you need better amplification. There's a pair sitting in the living room right now, a weekend has somehow just vanished and I want to get back to them. I don't want to be at work...

Andy

Andy thanks for this comments on the 802Ds. I have the CD36/C31/P1 set up and am looking to upgrade my speakers. I'll add these to the list to audition as soon as the piggy bank is full!

Cheers......Chris
 

andym

Active Member
Baltika_no_9 said:
Andy thanks for this comments on the 802Ds. I have the CD36/C31/P1 set up and am looking to upgrade my speakers. I'll add these to the list to audition as soon as the piggy bank is full!

Cheers......Chris

Chris,

If your piggy bank fills quickly *and* you have the space then audition the 800D as well: it's even better. (And so it should be at £13K a pair!). Not that I would ever say so in public, but the 800D also has, er, other uses: it can make the 802D seem positively diminutive *and* relatively cheap...

Andy
 
C

CyrilD

Guest
andym said:
Chris,

............................. Not that I would ever say so in public, but the 800D also has, er, other uses: it can make the 802D seem positively diminutive *and* relatively cheap...

Andy

Lateral thinking there Andy, that's a great angle. I'll let you know if it works!................................

cheers
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom