1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD23T output question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by UrbanT, Jul 21, 2004.

1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Just trying to satisfy a curiosity, can anyone answer the following question?

I have my CD23T connected to a Tag AV32R. If I connect the player via analogue, the display tells me its receiving 96khz. If I connect via digital coaxial, it tells me its receiving 44.1khz.

Does this mean the CD23T is an upsampling player?

Cheers

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Urban,

No, what is going on here is when you have it connected analogue the CD23T is converting the signal to analogue at 64 x 44.1KHz using its oversampling filter internally. Then the AV32 is converting that signal back to digital using its internal analogue to digital converter at 96KHz. hence it displays 96KHz onthe front. Then it converts it back to Analogue again at 96KHz X 64 upsampling in its internal DAC. It will probably sound better if you turn on the direct bypass but not all AV32 have this as it was a latter upgrade.

When you connect the CD23T directly to the AV32 it recieves the 44.1KHZ SPDIF input directly so displays 44.1KHz. The AV32 then converts that to Analogue using its internal DACs again at 64x oversampling.

Neither of these products contain an upsampling converter, an upsampling converter works in a slightly different way from an oversampling filter.

The CD33 contains an upsampling converter that upsamples the signal to 192KHz before it is passed to the DAC that then oversamples it by a further 32x. However unless your AV32 has the analogue bypass you are unlikely to hear the benifit of this.

Regards,
    Andrew