1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD23 vs CD33. Rock & Hardrock

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Sweden, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one will fit best if you like rock ,hard rock ?

2. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Have not heard either of those arcams but if that is your listening diet I would suggest you have a listen to a Naim CD5.

Cheers
    Rob

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally, I think a CD player should not be specific in sound quality to particular types of music. If it sounds good with one and not another something is wrong, and I'd look for a different player. Ditto for all stages of audio equipment. Either it reproduces accurately or it doesn't. Good for rock should also mean good for classical, etc.

Dean

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    The CD33 would be a great choice for that type of music. In fact I think it works well with any type of music.

5. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Dwette

I'd agree with you up to a point but how do you define accurate? Fact is that different kit has different strengths and thus will perform better with different types of programme.

Cheers
    Rob

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No equipment will reproduce source signal with perfect accuracy. But to say X is good for rock and Y is good for classical, etc. tells me that X and Y color the signal in some undesirable way. I want Z where I can say it's equally satisfying no matter what I throw at it (assuming good quality source material).

The audio equipment I've always had, from phono cartridges and CD players to preamps, amps, and speakers work equally well with rock, jazz, classical, etc.

If I audition something that sounds good with one type of audio but poorly with another, I reject it immediately and look for something else.

7. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is colouration necessarily undesirable? Do you want the truth or do you want something musical, they are not necessarily the same thing. The fact remains different kit gives a different presentation and that might well be what one is looking for. Naim gear is known for its timing and snap for want of better words and a CD5 would be worth an audition if you listen to that type of music. Contrast that with something like a Meridian 506.24 or 507 at the same price level which offers a totally different presentation - more Heather Nova than heavy metal IMHO.

Have not heard the CD33 as I said and maybe it finds a happy middle ground....

Cheers
    Rob

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I stand by what I said. The gear should neither add to nor subtract from the source. Obviously, this is the ideal and not reachable in practice, but the better the quality the closer it should come. In reality, different kits will add/subtract in different ways which is why we notice differences in sound between, for example, a Naim and Arcam amp.

Nevertheless, I still believe that if a kit reproduces audio in such a way that it is considered good for one kind of source and not another, it is inherently flawed in an important way.

Over the last 20+ years I have chosen Naim, Linn, Arcam, Dynaudio, etc. because they all perform well regardless of the type of source material. If something sounds bad on these kits it's because it isn't mastered well (or because it's Britney Spears and her digitaly corrected no-talent ilk).

Dean

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

Dean

I agree with what you say (particularly ms Spears) :)

I didn't say that the Naim CD5 was poor with particular types of music, just that I know it is favoured by those with more up tempo tastes

Given that, it has to be worth an audition in this instance.......

Cheers
    Rob

10. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've never heard any Naim sound bad, so in that I'm in complete agreement.

I listen primarily to acoustic Jazz and Classical. My old Linn/Naim system (NAC32/HiCap/NAP110 + LP12/RB300/Goldring GL/Sara) is still one of the most satisfying systems I've heard. And it also kicked with Rock and other electronic music.

Dean