CD23 - Slight humming

sam500

Standard Member
Reaction score
Absolutely loving my CD23 which I picked up secondhand last year. Unfortunately, because it's secondhand I've already had the transport repaired / replaced and I've recently been noticing an audible humming sound emanating from the unit. It's only a slight whir but it's enough to catch my ear when I have no music playing.

Any ideas appreciated, thank you :)

Try sticking it on some Sorbothane feet - it won't stop whatever is vibrating internally, but it does stop the shelf its sitting on vibrating in sympathy and making the noise much louder. This was very effective at damping the mechanical noise from a DVD player I used to have.

spl23 thanks for the suggestion. Could be a good solution :smashin:

However, should I be worried that I can here some audible humming in the first place? I searched some older threads and most queries of this kind seemed to involve dodgy transformers in amps.

Does it hum when it is switched on, or only when a disc is playing? If it is all the time, then it is the transformer; if only when playing, then it is the transport. Does it do it with all discs, or just with some? If it really bothers you, I'd advise sending the player back to Arcam for a transport replacement, but if it isn't under warranty, you'd be looking at a three-figure bill for that, I'd guess.

When it's on, it's humming - cd or no cd. To be honest, it's not a huge deal but I don't want to damage the player because I ignored a potential fault. What are the implications of not replacing the transformer (if that is indeed the problem)?

Hi Sam500,

I know that those humming problems can drive someone crazy.
First thing I would do is to open the CD23 case. Once done, I would put my ear near to each and every component to decide which one is involved in this humming process.
Taking off the CD23 cover is an easy task : 2 screws on each side and 4 screws on the rear panel. On later models, the X screws have been replaced with Torx, which require some other specific tool, but aside of that, easy operation.
Maybe it's also just the cover vibrating and it will help eliminate the problem ;-)

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

Transformers hum (in Europe at 50Hz) by their nature, so this is the likely cause. However damping should lower the volume sufficiently so that problems don't occur. Nevertheless you may be getting sympathetic resonance by the rack / cabinet or another device therein; you solve this by placing small pieces of rubber (spl23 suggests sorbothane) under the feet.

No damage will occur from not having the player seen to, but I'd nevertheless if it bothers you I'd suggest getting it looked at by Arcam.

The "specific tool" to remove the torx screws is called a Torxdriver. The size is probably T10. They can be readily bought from a hardware shop.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will open up the casing and have a root around. Will it be okay to power on the unit with the top off?

For what it's worth I have squash balls placed under each foot:confused: but will consider the Sorbothane option.

Hi Sam,

Don't worry : it is OK to power up the CD23 with the top off.
I did it several times when I received mine second hand from the USA and I lived in Europe and had to change the voltage.
After each try I hooked up the CD23 to see what happened. And, after getting the right thing done, I let it for several hours opened.

Regards.

FRED

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom