1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd wow starting warn about import tax

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by mackemansj1, Jan 2, 2004.

1. mackemansj1

mackemansj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was just going to order alias season 2 when i clicked on it and it told the usual about that this is aregion on blahh blah etc. But underneath it said warning you will be charged import tax as it is above your import limit this will be charged by the postman etc.

Ive ordered before things over £18 and that has never come up. Will they still refund charges etc or have they now stoped this ala soon.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Looks like Customs are tightening up the have done the same at DVDSoon see this thread :mad:

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i dont see the fuss really..... if you buy one at a time, 90% of the dvds on the market will still come to you without additional charge

ad

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    What about the box sets though and reg 2 seems to be the region there is the most cuts.

As I said in the other thread not to fussed about the customs but hate the RM getting the extra money for a job they have been paid for.:thumbsdow

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i mean we just have to accept getting R2 box sets or else pay the extra (those ebing the 10%).

Besides.... for now i give up buying R1 and am accepting R2..... I can get them at half the price and am willing to accept the cuts...... you pays your money i guess.

totally agree about RM though

ad

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just ordered season one from DVDSoon - they were about £8 cheaper than cd-wow for both seasons one and two ;)

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Might it be an idea to order things like Alias S2 from Amazon Marketplace.

I got mine from bestpricecd's of Canada for £29. No customs.

You could ask them to mark it as a gift on there by email etc?

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or get a friend who works on the high street..... new releases for a fiver ;) alien box set for 27 ;) :p

ad

9. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Will CD-WOW refund any charges? I know they used to...will they still do so, or are they going to stop?

This has really annoyed me...CD-WOW were, IMO, the best DVD retailer on the Internet

10. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I sent them this email this morning when I first saw this thread:

I've just got the following reply:

So looks like everythings still o.k :)

11. mackemansj1

mackemansj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep i got the same email. Panic over hehehe.

12. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please note RM collects custom charges on behalf of Custom and Excise. If RM got custom charges for themselves NO imported DVD etc would escape being charged.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    CLH got charged £14 by the RM on top of £7 custom charge which is ridiculous and disgusting and in my personal opinion highway robbery.

I wanted to import something from the states $40 and just say international postage $20 which at $1.7 to the £1 is a total of £35.29 then 4% import duty then 17.5% VAT on that £43.12 but if the RM take double the customs that takes it up to £58.79 which is a little over the top. Also customs charging duty on postage beggar’s belief!

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just remember, the industry doesn't want us to import DVDs as money goes out of the country, the fact that we can import stuff under £18 tax free is a luxuary that they may decide to take away one day.

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well that £7 must be something RM levy, I have just got the customs bill from colorfacts which came via fed ex. They charged me £4.50 fee...... considering this is for product value upwards of 50 times most dvds...... it does seem ridiculous that RM are getting what they do

ad

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree they do screw us with admin fees on top of the VAT and duty, but RM is usually cheaper than what couriers charge.

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I guess they have to stem there £m's losses somehow :)

18. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,

Don't quite understand some of the RM charges being discussed here. Last thing I got caught for import duty was some video cables. Item cost $70, Shipping $21, Import VAT £7.62, RM Clearance fee £4. The sticker on the box stated the fee is for RM presenting the package to customs, paying the fee on my behalf, then collecting the duty from me. Personally that seems reasonable for not having to get involved myself, now it would have been a different story if £4 had become £14. although it must be said the exact same specification cables UK manufacture, would still have been £20 more expensive!

Paul

19. Kalef

Kalef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just had to pay out 7.50 for Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers (4 disc ed.).

No refund from CDWow! :thumbsdow Emailed them Re: the charges and the reply ......

"Thank you for your email.

We are an international company and all items come from our warehouse in Hong Kong.

I'm very sorry that you have incurred these additional costs and although totally beyond our control, we do everything possible to avoid our customers paying any additional charges.

The reason you have been charged is because UK residents have a personal import allowance of £18.00 per package, unfortunately your package exceeded this amount and you have been charged the extra duty.

It was advertised when placing your order that you may incur charges, therefore we are not obliged to refund you on this occasion.

Please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused to you. I do hope it will not deter you from shopping with us again soon.

Thank you for choosing CD-WOW!"

Best start shopping around for anything over the £18 limit.

20. mackemansj1

mackemansj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate sorry to hear this. I emailed them last week before i ordered alias season 2.

And was told that they had shipping in place to ensure u do not incur import charges.

I would email them back and tell them this. cd wow are normally very helpful but if i get hit i will shove that email back at them and demand a refund.

21. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone receive anything over 18 quid in the last few days and not get charged customs ? Strange that ferris57 and mackemansj1 got an e-mail saying customs wouldn't be a problem and here we now have our first "victim" (Kalef).

I'm waiting for Season 2 of The Shield - if it gets charged I'll be cancelling my outstanding order for a SLAPPA CD case (Nov 30!!) and I'll quote the e-mail about new shipping methods being in place and see where it gets me.

There's been one thing after another recently between myself and CD-Wow - they're no longer the "king" IMO :thumbsdow

22. nobby69

nobby69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUST RECEIVED 2 SLIPS FROM POST OFFICE FOR BOX SETS I BOUGHT LAST WEEK AND EACH ONE IS COSTING ME £8 MORE EACH!!! NOT VERY HAPPY CONSIDERING THAT THE INITIAL PRICE WAS ONLY £22.50!

WILL HAVE TO RE-EVALUATE WETHER I BUY BOX SETS AGAIN.

ONLY THING IS NOW I'VE GOTTA PAY £16 TO GET MY BOX SETS!!!!!:( :( :(

23. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    welcome to the forums nobby69 BUT STOP SHOUTING :)

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmm just had to contact CDwow about an order not turning up!
    asked them about import taxes and
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

25. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What exactly is this 'shipping in place to prevent any more charges'? Seriously, anything over £18 and you risk being charged, what are CD Wow doing that they can guarantee no charges? Smuggling the DVD's into the country?

26. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seems like all the emails from them are just to fob us off and keep everyone odering from them :(

I did notice that the response to my email was not a direct answer "YES/NO we refund customs charges" but a more vague "we have systems in place...." response which seems now deliberately wooly.

I think they are avoiding directly addressing the issues of customs. They are probably well aware of the damage it would do to their buisness if they admit customs charges are a lottery and are also aware how expensive it could get if they agree to refund charges accross the board.

I still think they are an excellent company with about the best service/prices but I'm not impressed at the way they are dealing with this. Sending non-commital emails which seem to be worded in a way that makes people think customs isn't an issue, when in fact it looks like it is!

27. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was under the impression that they do/did reship from within the EU, meaning no customs charges for the recipient. But looks like I was/am wrong.

28. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This whole customs crap is the kind of stuff the contributes to piracy. Want the latest film? Don't want to be raped by customs if you order the Region 1 version? Don't want to wait maybe 6 months for the UK release? Download it!

Seriously, this is the way people will go, I also recently got hit by customs (or should I say 'handling fee's') on a number of things I'd imported (GBA, games, 128Mb Duo, etc, all seperately). In fact, I kicked up such a fuss at UPS they sent a letter promising to give me a £10 refund (ooooh, wow, they only had about £60 out of me within the space of a week) and I haven't received it yet, better get on the phone to them.

29. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you tried contacting them to see if they will refund you, im pretty sure they will.

30. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally I don't think piracy is the way to go. Mainly because it's not the studio's fault that royal mail charges high collection rates and our government sets a low personal import allowance. But in the long run it's the studio's that suffer.

If the government set a realistic personal allowance, such as £100, then the problem would dissapear. This could even apply to only media.

I don't have a problem paying customs on larger orders because the amount you pay in the end is not to bad proportionately. But when you order a dvd that's a couple of quid over the limit and end up paying an extra 30-40% once all fees are taken into account then I have a problem with it.