1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd wow rip off

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by blackpoolowl, May 18, 2004.

1. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    be carefull when ordering from cdwow.
    just got pgr2 xbox when it was delivered i had to pay £8.89 for customs charges. i rang cdwow & they knew this would happen so i had to pay charge. total for game now is £37..........comet have it for £35 ....amazon £29.99
    rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taken from CD-Wow page for PGR2 (link http://www10.cd-wow.com/detail_results_3.php?product_code=7194)

Please ensure you read the following information before proceeding:

Please note that within the European Union you MAY be charged CUSTOMS DUTY/VAT on this item as the value of this product is in excess of your personal import allowance.

If applicable, this Customs charge is collected by the Post Office/Postal Agent who may also charge you an additional handling fee for clearing your package through Customs.

We are unable to provide any guidance as to how much the Customs Duty/VAT or Post Office clearance fee will be as unfortunately these charges are completely beyond our control.

If you'd read this first, then you would realise that you will more than likely have to pay Import duties and VAT - CD-WOW haven't ripped you off

Gary

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,180
    Yep its well known that if you order something over the value of £18 you can expect to get Custom Charges and Post Office Fees that is why CD Wow are only good for titles under £18, anything over that price is not worth the risk.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ....and the same is true of anywhere else that ships from outside the EEC tax zone.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The words "CDWOW" and "Rip off" just don't look right used together... :rolleyes: :thumbsdow

6. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to all the cdwow fanclub members.........my fault i presumed the price i paid would be the price i would get the item for. silly me!
    just going to pay my newspaper bill........hope they dont print it in hong kong cannt afford more excise to pay.

7. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This charge is completely outside of cd-wow's hands, but they are ensuring they warn purchasers of the possibility. Not only that, but their warning isn't hidden away in some "shipping charges" page that people might not visit, but shown in a highlighted box on the actual item page.

I really can't see what else cd-wow could have done to make this risk any clearer.

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What a ridiculous comment... :rolleyes:

First rule of internet ordering - read the fine print :p

You didn't, and you've been stung - I bet you'll be more careful next time ;)

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    How the hell can you blame CD-Wow for this? Customs charges (or the risk of) are a fact of life when shopping online from overseas. Even if you went over to HK and walked the goods back yourself you still run the risk of being stopped going through the green channel and levied with a duty charge.

Suggest you stick to UK based High Street stores just to be safe in future or go to places like www.yesasia.com who guarantee that you won't get hit by customs since they ship the goods from within the UK.

10. blackpoolowl

blackpoolowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right i have read all your comments and i have had my ar*e spanked for dissing cdwow i consider myself punished
    is it just a lottery who is charged excise or does everyone.....if it is everyone surely it would be cheaper for cdwow to put the excise on the price.
    i was charged £4.89 for excise £4 post office surrcharge. by my reconning the game would still be cheaper inclusive of the excise!!!!!

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    In theory everyone should be charged it, but sometimes the post office doesnt pick it up so you do get away with it. I believe, well reading some posts in dvds, that they are becoming more stringent now.

12. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not mark it up as under £18 then no charge dont some already do this ?:D

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,180
    I believe that is what they used to do but they were told to start stating the correct price.

14. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a shame :mad: