1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Wow Rental

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Zog, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Considering signing up for this as I have just cancelled my Sky Movies.

What are peoples experiences, particularly in terms of delivery times ?

For example if I wanted a movie for a Saturday night, when typically would I have to order it ?

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I signed up for free trial of TESCO version & priniciple sounded great. Experience was the opposire though. 1st delivery was fast with 3 DVDs, but then on returning them it was a long wait, plus I only ever got 2 max from then on. Cancelled after 3 weeks.

Note also you have to list about 20+ DVDs & they can't guarentee which order they will come in.

From looking at other online rental firms, I think they all outsource to same the same one company (same order S/W etc). Therefore had concerns that problems would only get worse as more people sign up, so less films available at any one time.

Dave

3. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know exactly about CD wow rental but I have used 4/5 different online companies. Most of them are very similar and deliver titles reasonably quickly, of course that depends on your local Royal Mail service! The company which provides CD wow is ,I believe, love film which from what I've read on this forum and others have a good reputation.

What happens when you sign up is ,according to the company's package deal, is they usually send three DVDs. Once you send one or more back than they will send you another one or more, depending on what you sent them. The company's usually try to send from the top of your DVD Que which you want to make as big as possible, preferably 30 plus.

You cannot guarantee in which order the DVDs will arrive but it's best to place the films you want to see most at the top of your list.

As a member you can keep the DVDs as long as you wish (well within reason) or you can watch as many as you like. So if you wish to guarantee a DVD for a certain day you can hang on to one and then send back when you wish.

There are lots of free trials and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try a few out before committing to one company.

hope I helped.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    I've tried 2 so far: CD-Wow/Lovefilm and Screen Select.

IMHO screen select is better; easier to find movies on there, when you select boxsets they will despatch them in order, and they despatch them quicker than LoveFilm.

Experiences with LoveFilm include: 2 day delay on average between returning movies and them sending out the next batch, although they do send all 3 out at once.

Ordering boxsets mean you need to change your rental queue so that only disc 1 (or the disc you want) is at the top: I mistakenly thought they'd apply some logic when I first joined, so imagine my disgust when the first delivery arrived and it was disc 2 and 3 of 24 Season 3 :suicide:

They aren't bad though really, I just find Screen Select more user-friendly, and generally they're a little faster.

Monthly rental schemes is where I will stay though, I will only buy DVDs if they're ones I REALLY want and know I'll watch them again. Too many titles sit on my shelf unwatched atm, or watched once, only to collect dust in the future...

5. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The best Ive used by far was 'choices'.
    Lovefilm ripped me off when I cancelled after using them for a year.
    Just finished a Blockbuster trial.......diabolical.
    I'ld have about 17 titles in my Q, and Ild get e-mails saying that they couldnt send me anything as none of them were in stock!!!

6. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently with Blockbuster, and personally, I wouldn't recomend them. I have had dvd's on my list for well over 3 months now, some old (Twin Town, Bridget Jones (for the missus obviuosly)) and they still haven't sent them out. Currently I have 36 dvd's, a mixture of old and new, and at the moment they are telling me they have none in stock. I'm looking to go else where, just haven't made up my mind yet.