cd wow raise prices

Let's not get confused here. CD-Wow have not chosen to raise their prices, they have been forced to by the BPI.

Do not blame CD-Wow (a Hong Kong based company) for the appalling treatment allowed to be dished out to UK consumers by the BPI and our own Government.

Even if they 'level the playingfield' I would rather give my money to CD-Wow than the UK High Street. The only way out Government will learn is when they realise nobody's buying anything here anymore and that they're not enjoying that 17.5% of every single thing we buy.

That nice new Plasma TV you just bought? £500+ of it's value went straight to the Government, for doing nothing. Nice work if you can get it.

What about NHS? Education? Roads? Tax isn't the only issue here, it's because UK distributers don't see any of that money, it all goes to other countries.

Originally posted by cybersoga
What about NHS? Education? Roads

You are joking aren't you?

I suggest that old cd wow arent lost yet..... they may raise the prices but what about the vouchers...... for all we know there may well be more appear that simply arent widely known about..... so things may not change if you keep your eyes open

ad

What about NHS? Education? Roads? Tax isn't the only issue here, it's because UK distributers don't see any of that money, it all goes to other countries.

I pay enough towards that already thanks. Why should an UK distributor get the money? The disks from wow are all legit, which means the bands will get their money does it not? Why should we pay more for UK music than other countries?

Regards, Mylo

Originally posted by figrin_dan
You are joking aren't you?

Don't people like living here? I know huge chunks of tax payers money is probably wasted, but consider that in America they don't even have an NHS. If your employer doesn't give you health insurance your stuffed unless your rich.

If everyone bought CD's and DVD's from overseas, tax free and missing out UK distributers, wouldn't we all be worse off? I'm just trying to see it from both sides.

I already pay enough tax to cover my private medical cover. My company may pay the subs but I get taxed on it. I still have to pay shed loads of NI though. What has this got to do with us getting ripped off on Cd's?

I agree with a number of points here...

But - this is DVD talk - CD Wow DVD's are not affected by the change so shouldn't the mods move this to Music or General?

I was thinking the same thing Buns.....the game's not over yet.

As far as I'm aware I dont have any say as to where my taxes are spent...no doubt a lot went on waging an illegal war, or paid for dodgy documents to be tarted up.

The point here is that we the buying public have a right to get the best price available for any consumer item purchased, to many that's what this medium is for....buying online and getting a fair price for goods.

It'd really rich the B.P.I. and it's cohorts suggesting anyone who purchases CD's ...it won't be long before it's DVD's......are purchasing illegal goods......these are the same people who are very adept at price fixing within their cosy cartel.

And as for tax......I bet they have a nice army of accountants working on their behalf finding ways to screw the exchequer.

the game is sort of over. cdwow now have to source their CDs from within the EU which mkaes it a lot more expensive for them so they have to transfer those costs onto the UK consumer. They could give you vouchers and reduce the price to "pre BPI ripoff illegal price fixing" but they would still have to buy the expensive CDs and lose a lot of money.

I just hope the other EU countries are a bit more consumer friendly and don't go down the same route.

here's a nice quote from another forum:

I have just emailed [email protected] and let them know to buy some beers, sit back, relax and watch piracy go through the roof.

LOL

the BPI is suicidal anyway:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-972051,00.html

CD sales rose by 7.6 per cent in the UK last year according to Music Week, the industry magazine, despite a broader downward global trend. Critics say that this was due to the lower prices of online retailers and supermarkets, the FT reported.

so an increase in price will lead to a decrease in sales. at the same time the BPI is lobbying the EU to reduce VAT on CDs (as they are higher than books etc)
yet I doubt that they will tranfser that reduced price on to consumers.

It will be nice to see the BPI go down in flames, I hope I will get a front seat row.

Yes it's an interesting stat that Tesco sold more Cd's last year than HMV.

Don't hold your breath for replies from the B.PI. or other cartels though.....to date I've sent them at least 20 emails concerning this and other matters...and not one single reply or acknowledgment......in more ways than one they seem to treat their customers with the utmost of contempt....one day soon, that will be their downfall.......and I've got my front seat well and trully booked for that day.

What makes me laugh (in a maniacal fashion) is that big corporations are all for globalisation when it suits them but become protectionist when people apart from them start to exploit the benefits of globalisation

I mainly buy CDs from supermarkets and online - I never buy "Copy Protected" either - but I may buy one copy then return as unplayable.

Originally posted by MartinImber
I mainly buy CDs from supermarkets and online - I never buy "Copy Protected" either - but I may buy one copy then return as unplayable.

Cd-wow ARE online, they are the ones being made to put the prices up.:confused:

Don't people like living here?

I think the answer, in ever increasing numbers and volume is 'No'.

And please spare us the redundant 'emmigrate then' response. Why should we leave our own country just because the people who are supposed to run it on our behalf are doing a terrible job of it. They are supposed to represent the views and wishes of the people... exactly when did that become an afterthought?

at the risk of getting off topic - what on earth has this got to do with the topic under discussion - a little perspective please!

Although personally I feel this decision is an example of cartels at their worst, you have to take the rough with the smooth. To extrapolate this into a whine about all the things in life that annoy you is I feel a little extreme - eg who is going to leave the country due to CD prices?

If you dont like the government - vote against them at the next election - but given the alternative I doubt they'd be better.

As for the actual issue under discussion, its unfortunate that EU rules tend to work against the consumer in this example, and it will all add fuel to p2p and downloading.

Alternatively wait until your local library has a copy in stock and then listen to that or "do other things" with the borrowed CD.

Originally posted by MartinImber
II never buy "Copy Protected" either - but I may buy one copy then return as unplayable.

oooh please don't get me started on this. my sis has the dido album and I wanted to make a copy for the car. and that won't work. I can't even play it on the PC unless I install their own software:mad:

Originally posted by kill3r
I think the answer, in ever increasing numbers and volume is 'No'.

I know its off topic but I do agree with kill3r, were just to soft to stand up for anything in great numbers in this country. END of rant I will shut up now

The BPI are hailing a victory as EU sales will go up and will no doubt keep quiet about the huge increase in piracy (or perhaps they don't care?) . This is not going to be good for the artists or the consumer. This is going to go down as one of the biggest own goals ever.

Why oh why should we pay £14 for an EU CD in HMV if CD-Wow sells a legitimate HK CD (royalties paid etc) for £8? Why not even the playing field by reducing the price of EU CD's instead? OK royalties would be lower but sales would go up.

I think that after Sunday I may start using Amazon USA again - the exchange rate is good at the moment.

The BPI are still about to take on Play too...

the funny thing is that even EU Cds are not that expensive. I picked up Last samurai soundtrack in luxembourg for 14.99€
we have 15% VAT but if you tell me a shop in the UK that sells that CD for a tenner (as that's the value in pound), I'd be surprised. I did find Top Gun soundtrack for £17.99 yesterday on a UK highstreet though..go figure..

Originally posted by Duncan Harvey
at the risk of getting off topic - what on earth has this got to do with the topic under discussion - a little perspective please!

The fact that the BPI have been allowed to force a retailer to increase their prices to a level close to those they've been able to price fix on the UK high street is very much on topic.

you have to take the rough with the smooth.

That's fine. Could somebody inform us when we might expect the smooth?

its unfortunate that EU rules tend to work against the consumer in this example

I like the way you say that as if to suggest sometimes EU legislation works in our favour.

Come on, you know it as well as everyone else does, the BPI's action is indefensible. Why are some people defending the BPI (which has admitted to a 7% rise in albums sales last year and HMV have just posted their biggest ever profits) whilst bashing the consumer?

Just go shopping at the supermarkets, albums tend to be 8.99 or 9.99 anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom