1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd wow raise prices

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by cuewoz1, Jan 22, 2004.

1. cuewoz1

cuewoz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. kill3r

kill3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's not get confused here. CD-Wow have not chosen to raise their prices, they have been forced to by the BPI.

Do not blame CD-Wow (a Hong Kong based company) for the appalling treatment allowed to be dished out to UK consumers by the BPI and our own Government.

Even if they 'level the playingfield' I would rather give my money to CD-Wow than the UK High Street. The only way out Government will learn is when they realise nobody's buying anything here anymore and that they're not enjoying that 17.5% of every single thing we buy.

That nice new Plasma TV you just bought? £500+ of it's value went straight to the Government, for doing nothing. Nice work if you can get it.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What about NHS? Education? Roads? Tax isn't the only issue here, it's because UK distributers don't see any of that money, it all goes to other countries.

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You are joking aren't you?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suggest that old cd wow arent lost yet..... they may raise the prices but what about the vouchers...... for all we know there may well be more appear that simply arent widely known about..... so things may not change if you keep your eyes open

ad

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

I pay enough towards that already thanks. Why should an UK distributor get the money? The disks from wow are all legit, which means the bands will get their money does it not? Why should we pay more for UK music than other countries?

Regards, Mylo

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Don't people like living here? I know huge chunks of tax payers money is probably wasted, but consider that in America they don't even have an NHS. If your employer doesn't give you health insurance your stuffed unless your rich.

If everyone bought CD's and DVD's from overseas, tax free and missing out UK distributers, wouldn't we all be worse off? I'm just trying to see it from both sides.

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I already pay enough tax to cover my private medical cover. My company may pay the subs but I get taxed on it. I still have to pay shed loads of NI though. What has this got to do with us getting ripped off on Cd's?

9. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with a number of points here...

But - this is DVD talk - CD Wow DVD's are not affected by the change so shouldn't the mods move this to Music or General?

10. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I was thinking the same thing Buns.....the game's not over yet.

As far as I'm aware I dont have any say as to where my taxes are spent...no doubt a lot went on waging an illegal war, or paid for dodgy documents to be tarted up.

The point here is that we the buying public have a right to get the best price available for any consumer item purchased, to many that's what this medium is for....buying online and getting a fair price for goods.

It'd really rich the B.P.I. and it's cohorts suggesting anyone who purchases CD's ...it won't be long before it's DVD's......are purchasing illegal goods......these are the same people who are very adept at price fixing within their cosy cartel.

And as for tax......I bet they have a nice army of accountants working on their behalf finding ways to screw the exchequer.

11. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the game is sort of over. cdwow now have to source their CDs from within the EU which mkaes it a lot more expensive for them so they have to transfer those costs onto the UK consumer. They could give you vouchers and reduce the price to "pre BPI ripoff illegal price fixing" but they would still have to buy the expensive CDs and lose a lot of money.

I just hope the other EU countries are a bit more consumer friendly and don't go down the same route.

here's a nice quote from another forum:

LOL

the BPI is suicidal anyway:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-972051,00.html

so an increase in price will lead to a decrease in sales. at the same time the BPI is lobbying the EU to reduce VAT on CDs (as they are higher than books etc)
    yet I doubt that they will tranfser that reduced price on to consumers.

It will be nice to see the BPI go down in flames, I hope I will get a front seat row.

12. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes it's an interesting stat that Tesco sold more Cd's last year than HMV.

Don't hold your breath for replies from the B.PI. or other cartels though.....to date I've sent them at least 20 emails concerning this and other matters...and not one single reply or acknowledgment......in more ways than one they seem to treat their customers with the utmost of contempt....one day soon, that will be their downfall.......and I've got my front seat well and trully booked for that day.

13. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What makes me laugh (in a maniacal fashion) is that big corporations are all for globalisation when it suits them but become protectionist when people apart from them start to exploit the benefits of globalisation

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I mainly buy CDs from supermarkets and online - I never buy "Copy Protected" either - but I may buy one copy then return as unplayable.

15. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Cd-wow ARE online, they are the ones being made to put the prices up.:confused:

16. kill3r

kill3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the answer, in ever increasing numbers and volume is 'No'.

And please spare us the redundant 'emmigrate then' response. Why should we leave our own country just because the people who are supposed to run it on our behalf are doing a terrible job of it. They are supposed to represent the views and wishes of the people... exactly when did that become an afterthought?

17. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    at the risk of getting off topic - what on earth has this got to do with the topic under discussion - a little perspective please!

Although personally I feel this decision is an example of cartels at their worst, you have to take the rough with the smooth. To extrapolate this into a whine about all the things in life that annoy you is I feel a little extreme - eg who is going to leave the country due to CD prices?

If you dont like the government - vote against them at the next election - but given the alternative I doubt they'd be better.

As for the actual issue under discussion, its unfortunate that EU rules tend to work against the consumer in this example, and it will all add fuel to p2p and downloading.

Alternatively wait until your local library has a copy in stock and then listen to that or "do other things" with the borrowed CD.

18. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

oooh please don't get me started on this. my sis has the dido album and I wanted to make a copy for the car. and that won't work. I can't even play it on the PC unless I install their own software:mad:

19. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

20. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
  21. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    The BPI are hailing a victory as EU sales will go up and will no doubt keep quiet about the huge increase in piracy (or perhaps they don't care?) . This is not going to be good for the artists or the consumer. This is going to go down as one of the biggest own goals ever.

Why oh why should we pay £14 for an EU CD in HMV if CD-Wow sells a legitimate HK CD (royalties paid etc) for £8? Why not even the playing field by reducing the price of EU CD's instead? OK royalties would be lower but sales would go up.

I think that after Sunday I may start using Amazon USA again - the exchange rate is good at the moment.

The BPI are still about to take on Play too...

22. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the funny thing is that even EU Cds are not that expensive. I picked up Last samurai soundtrack in luxembourg for 14.99€
    we have 15% VAT but if you tell me a shop in the UK that sells that CD for a tenner (as that's the value in pound), I'd be surprised. I did find Top Gun soundtrack for £17.99 yesterday on a UK highstreet though..go figure..

23. kill3r

kill3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact that the BPI have been allowed to force a retailer to increase their prices to a level close to those they've been able to price fix on the UK high street is very much on topic.

That's fine. Could somebody inform us when we might expect the smooth?

I like the way you say that as if to suggest sometimes EU legislation works in our favour.

Come on, you know it as well as everyone else does, the BPI's action is indefensible. Why are some people defending the BPI (which has admitted to a 7% rise in albums sales last year and HMV have just posted their biggest ever profits) whilst bashing the consumer?

24. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Just go shopping at the supermarkets, albums tend to be 8.99 or 9.99 anyway!

25. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    maybe if plenty of us send an email to the address given at the bottom of the articel, it may get more press coverage and sway things towards a better situation.

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,551
    I just sent the following email:

To Peter.Jamieson@bpi.co.uk (I don't know if the email address works but I'll let you know if the email bounces)

I think it is absolutely disgusting that you have prevented UK consumers from purchasing CDs sourced globally from CD WOW. What you completely fail to appreciate is that the internet is a Global community. If people can't buy from CD WOW they will buy directly or from one of the many other online retailers.
    Consumers are already angry at the rediculous prices of CDs. All this will do is toughen their resolve to find other sources of the music or even download it from the internet.
    All you have succeeded to do by your actions is to victimise one company and annoy tens or hundreds of thousands of people (the BBC website refers to CD WOW as having a million users a month Worldwide).
    Whereas previously I might have considered the existance of your organisation to be justified in fighting piracy (something I do not condone), I am now firmly of the belief that the BPI's existance is NOT in the best interests of the UK consumer and UK consumers should do everything legal in our power to stop the BPI from doing anything like this again.

Kind regards
    Stuart Wright

27. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also sent an email to the same address yesterday, of course I havent received a reply and Im not holding out for one.

Interesting reading that sun link, being a sun reader Ive noticed they do alot of things whereby people sign and send off a slip which was printed in the paper. Maybe theres some way of getting them to do this to reduce the price of CD's or at lease let the consumer choose where to order from?