1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd-wow may be sued!

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by bowenjones, Mar 15, 2003.

1. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
  2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not that big a deal. It's annoying that the record companies are interfering in giving the customers what they want but if CD-WOW stop selling HK CDs (and even N American CDs), I for one wouldn't be that bothered.

I've had problems with some Asian CD releases in the past. They can be less well mastered than their N American and European counterparts and sometimes have fewer tracks than the N American or European releases.

Also, the N American artists that I'm after, CD-WOW often do not sell and even when they do, I find it cheaper to order directly from suppliers in Canada and the US.

The only problem is with new releases. CD-WOW are often the cheapest and meet the earliest release dates.

I guess CD-WOW could just shift to a HK-based operation, they might get away with it then (after all, everyone else does).

Who's gonna be next though? Are they gonna start taking on those who supply N American CDs like Play? :suicide:

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I inadvertantly posted this thread on the dvd and music
    forums as I thought that users of either of them would
    be interested.
    I didn't realise that I was breaking forum rules and therefore
    apologise :blush:
    I do think that if the BPI wins this case it will have implications
    regarding other sites which would be very bad news indeed!:mad:

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed. As I said before, I believe that both Play & Future Ent get their cds from abroad (I could be wrong). I wonder why cd-wow are being picked on.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Lex, you are absolutely right. Play and Future Ent get their CDs from N America.

They only get them from N America though, whereas CD-WOW appear to get them from all over the world. I have had CDs from CD-WOW that are of HK, Phillipine, Australian, US, Canadian and UK origin.

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, proof that the music industry is their own worst enemy. :thumbsdow

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They haven't got a clue have they! :rolleyes:

£3.99 for a cd-single - surely that should be classed as robbery! :mad:

8. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Reading the case facts, it seems to me that the BPI and Sony
    want us ( the UK consumers ) to buy only the cd's that are
    produced ( i.e. made ) here.
    Perhaps cd-wow were chosen because they supply a large
    number of cd's that are produced overseas and the reason they
    are picking on HK based producers could be just to simplify
    things.
    If they were to win, I beleive that their next step would be
    to target the imports of all overseas produced cd's.
    That then would open the door for other companies to sue
    sites that sell other overseas products such as dvd's to protect
    their own interests.
    As I said, lets hope and pray that this doesn't happen.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This case seems similar to the Levis Vs Tesco court case - which Levis won... Tesco were buying their Levis cheap from the far east instead of direct from Levis.

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The record companies BPI keep making things harder for consumers to get a fair deal and then wonder why sales go down. When you consider - as Lex notes - £3.99 for a cd single, which can only have 3 tracks, UK releases which have often less tracks/mixes than their international one and ill-thought copy protections it's no surprise the market suffers.
    It'll be intersesting to see what happens when bluray dvdr/rw arrives.

11. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    [mmmm can't allow this to go through unless you have proof, I'm afraid]

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I don't know how most people feel here but I speak to a lot of americans who are very anti-RIAA and refuse to buy CDs at all until the system changes.

I am happy to buy CDs at a reasonable price, which CD-WOW allows me to. If they remove this supplier they will lose my CD sales as I refuse to pay standard UK prices and have other ways to get music (of CD quality).

This kind of thing makes me REALLY angry. CD-WOW is doing nothing illegal AFAIK, they are simply running a business. If they can ship music from HK to the UK and still under-cut prices by 40% (album priced £13 here and £7.70 on their site) it says something about the prices we are paying here.

It's about time they realised that the public won't stand for being ripped off anymore. If they are worried about falling CD sales they are going about trying to revive them all the wrong way.

Another thing that record companies seem to ignore when quoting their poor sales figures is the state of the economy. The vast majority of businesses are suffering with many having to cope with significantly reduced sales, yet the record industry feels it shouldn't affect them!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll stop now before I ruin my mood completely.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'quality' of Asian bootleg CD and DVD releases (with regards to covers, printed CD and DVD labels) makes it VERY difficult to tell what is an original and what is a bootleg release in Asian countries. Apparently, even the "holograms of autheticity" can be purchased for just a few pennies on the open market. If we can be duped in this way, it must be the same for legitimate suppliers.

Someone else commented on the forum a few months ago that the reason why Asian DVDs and CDs are so cheaply priced is because the originals have to compete with the bootlegs on the open market. So if the originals were priced any higher, people just wouldn't buy them. They have to be so cheap so people will say "Well, for a couple of $'s more, I will buy the original".

14. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the only reason CD-Wow are being targetted is that they do have a UK operation that handles returns, and possibly other aspects of the business.

There's nothing they can do to the likes of A&B Sound or Amazon.com/ca/whatever or just about any other music shop anywhere in the world who are entirely based outside of the UK.

As someone said in uk.media.dvd cd-wow often seem like a UK company posting from HK rather than a HK company posting to the UK (not that I think for a minute that it's a bad thing).

You'd have thought the BPI would realise they're shooting themselves in the foot as the more they try to get people to pay over-the-odds prices the more people will resort to downloading so the artist/record label gets jack.

I for one don't feel I'm being ripped off paying £7.50 for an album, but it does slightly rankle when I (as an individual) can get a single album shipped from Canada for £7 whereas I can walk to HMV who must buy in thousands and see the same thing on sale for £12 :-(

regards
    Paul

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but so do Play and Future Ent. Odd that CD-WOW get picked on first, but then they are the only major supplier dealing with Asian CDs in particular with a UK base and their CDs are frequently cheaper than Play's and Future Ent's.

16. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey hutchingsp,HMV must be having a sale(or did you quote the price for a cd single?):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, prices in the UK are artificially inflated, so the companies shouldn't be surprised that more people are buying from abroad. CDs, DVDs, Games, it's all the same.

I occasionally wander into HMV or Virgin Megastore, and I'm shocked at the prices. I can honestly say I'll never buy anything from there again while the prices are so high.

18. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that,last time I bought from HMV they still sold gramophone records!:rotfl:

19. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Lex what a nugget, why shut the thread down in dvd talk it affects both threads. Some of us buy both cd and dvds since its going to effect both formats could you not cut some slack with this rule [seems a bit of a jobsworth to me]. If they get shut down for the cd side of sales dvd sales will follow! Guys buying dvds might not get to know about it until their orders are lost.

Chill.....................:clown:

20. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    It was my fault. I broke the rules by posting an identical
    thread in both forums.
    Next time I'll word them differently.
    This is a well run forum so rules should not be broken under
    any circumstance.
    I suggest that everyone who uses these forums should
    take the time to read the rules - as I have now done!:)

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    martian1,

Thanks for your constructive comments! :rolleyes:

The reasons for not having two threads on the same subject are fairly obvious I would have thought...

22. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in full agreement with you there, IMO CD-WOW should be allowed to carry on, there's nothing wrong with cheaper competition to the high street retail chains. After all, isn't that what business is all about these days (why make it here when you can import it cheaper from abroad)

23. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be stupid, but is there any way to link the same thread to 2 different forums?

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martian1 and Azrikam,

The article is about music.

We can make all kinds of other parallels with every single forum here. For example, as well as DVDs, CD-WOW also sell games. So if they do go under, then they'll stop selling games as well.

So shall we have a thread about this in each forum or a link to this thread in each forum? No. It's fairly obvious that if a supplier goes under, they stop selling everything else. That's not the issue here. Music CDs are the issue here. ;)

25. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think CD prices are a total rip off - you can even get cheaper DVDs

26. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you are talking about DVDs of movies, I don't think they should be more expensive than CD albums.

From the point of value for money I get A LOT more enjoyment out of a good album than a good film. There are many albums I've probably spent 50+ hours listening to, I don't think there are any films I can say that about.

27. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    CD mastering is cheaper, CD production is cheaper - CDs are a rip off! They should be cheaper than tapes not more expensive.

£6 for a CD would be about right:p

28. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Of course, but you missed my point. ;)

I was taking from an enjoyment per £ persepective.

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not really paying for the mastering or production costs of CDs and DVDs when you buy them anyway. That's only a tiny percentage of the actual cost. What you're paying for is how much it cost to hire and promote the artist or to make and promote the movie. The CD/DVD is merely a transport vehicle (like putting your groceries in a carrier bag).

30. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or, when you're buying a CD from a small to medium artist, you're also paying to advertise Celine Dion, N-Sync and Mariah Carey. Doesn't make any sense, you say?

Exactly.