cd wow-customs

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by barrykil, Nov 19, 2002.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi, just a quickie
    is there any chance that you can get hit with duty when ordering games from cd wow,i have only bought dvds and usually keep my orders below £18, just a thought? :confused:
    thanks

2. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I ordered the R1 ET box set from Play and had to pay 11 quid customs charge!!!

3. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    mainly asking about games as they advertise splinter cell for £31.99

4. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    But it all comes as th esame - optical media.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered quite several dvd boxsets from cdwow i have never been done by customs

i could be just lucky thou

6. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got hit for £8 by customs for my lotr.i wasnt happy as now this 4 disk set has cost me £30!
    thing is next day my b.o.b turned up unscathed.so all told in the last 7 yrs of buying media from overseas,i have been stung 3 times by customs,which aint bad considering the amount of stuff i have ordered.its a random thing,dont be put offbut be prepared!:D

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try play247.co.uk. They sell R1 DVD's and games. I believe they are on one of the channel islands. They import them and send them from the channel Islands to us. Must be different rules for them.

All the discs I've bought have been a pretty similar price to dvd boxoffice (maybe very slightly more) and they always arrive within a day or so rather than the 9+days it taked from dvdboxoffice.

8. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think pLAY sell US games m8. only r1 dvd's

9. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    looking at CDWOW the games seem to be PAL anyway.
    So (as far as i know) there shouldnt be any customs charges.

10. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers stinky :D

11. cleggy

cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but whether it is PAL or not doesn't matter. If it is worth over £18 and is coming from overseas (including jersey) then you COULD be charged VAT by customs (plus a handling charge :) )

In 5 years or so of ordering DVDs from overseas I have been stung for about £20 worth of customs charges which is much (MUCH!) less than the total amount I've saved over that period so I'm not too concerned.

If you are ordering from CD-WOW they will declare the value on the front of the package so depending on how attentive the person at the customs office/post office is then you could get hit, but personally I think the risk is small and worth it if you are going to be making big savings in the long run.

12. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought Jersey (and other channel islands) are classed part of the UK. Therefore no customs would be involved. Even the contact number is UK. They speak English, not French so surely they are classed as UK!!?!? :(
    PLUS i have checked and you get no warning about custom charges from Play.com when ordering anything over £18.99, under region2 or games.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,580
    Got Band of Brothers from CD-WOW ( R1 version ) which was over £40 and that had no customs charges so I should think they are ok

14. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok i have just rang cd-wow and confirmed that it would be sent from Hong Kong.
    Therefore if a game was selling for £31.99 and it did get stopped then it would cost about £10. So, thats still a few quid cheaper than a high street shop. If it doesnt get stopped then you are £10 better off!
    If anyone cares i was told that consignia charge a £3 per item fee plus you have to pay the 17.5% vat.
    So worst case scenario, on something costing £31.99 all together (assuming you pay vat on the £3 consignia charge) it'll cost £41.12

15. cleggy

cleggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jersey's not part of the UK for customs or otherwise, but if you pay income tax there you can apply to have it counted as UK income tax if you decide to come to the UK I think, but I'm not sure on the details and it's kind of verging off topic :)

Everything coming from play (well at least everything I've had from them) has a customs declaration and the value of the goods. I had 3 parcels from them last week and all had the value declared on the front (most expensive was £16.99 though so I should have avoided customs charges any road).

Some useful information on the Governments customs and excise pages:

"You do not have to pay any tax or duty in the UK on goods you have bought tax paid in other EU countries which are for your own use, and which have been transported to the UK by you." So you can bring shedloads of dvds and games into the UK from within the EU if you bring them in yourself (i.e. not through the post).

"Duty and VAT must be paid on all items bought over the Internet and imported into the United Kingdom." This is ambigous as it states "on all items" & doesn't qualify the £18 limit, I wonder if the website is an indication that the UK government will apply the new EU directive that allows it to srap the £18 threshold and charge duty & VAT on all imports irrespective of value.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/index.htm

As most people will testify this is theoretical anyway - I don't think they have the staffing power to stop check and charge every imported parcel, and even if you get hit once or twice you will probably save money in the long run.

16. fannycraddock

fannycraddock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked out the argos site? All there games are 29.99 with a couple of quid for postage..they didn't have the ones I was after but they do offer to email you when it's in stock..alternatively what I did was go into GAME who claim to price match & got the guy to price match Ratchet & Clank & the 2 Towers games (for my kids chrimbo) he didn't bother to check if they were in stock @ Argos I just showed him the page from the catalogue..saved meself 25 quid..not bad for an afternoons blagging...come to think of it Comet.co.uk pricematch the argos website/shop might be worth a blag there too...cheers

fanny:)