1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-WOW & customs charges

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As many of you know when you order from CD-Wow now you get a message saying that there will be no customs fees to pay.

I ordered the Band of Brothers tin box-set from CD-Wow last week and I just got charged £14 by Customs this morning. Obviously their new system doesn't work.

I have emailed CD-Wow about this - will post their response here.

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They'll give you a refund for the £14 Lex i'm sure of it.:)

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hope so. I am more annoyed about the fact that it wasn't delivered - I am too busy to collect it from the P.O. so will have to wait until monday!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :(

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'd all be better off emailing HM Government and requesting they remove this ridiculous tax.

Or ask them to ensure the goods we can buy in this country are equal to, and set at the same price as, good from overseas...

Well, that's two things you can guarantee Tony (B)Liar will never do.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know - I am only frustrated with cd-wow because it clearly stated that there would be no fees to pay. I am sure they will sort it out.

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    received buffy season 3 from cd-wow it is absolutely covered in red franking stanps sayiing CHARGE plus a red label with the charges on-£5.24 import&vat £3.85 consignia saying canot be delivered until paid and a b&w label-dear customer. the thing is the postman brought it and said he didn't know how it got through without me having to pay, but the other thing is that all the hong kong post marks and price were covered with blank labels before the customs stamps and it's postmarked sweden-what's going on?

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CD-Wow response:

Hi,

I'm very sorry that you have incurred these additional costs and can
    appreciate your disappointment.

I apologise that you were not warned of this possible charge, and I have
    instructed the payment company to process a refund for the charges you have
    incurred and this will be credited back to your card.

The reason you originally incurred such a charge is because the item ordered
    exceeds the import levy of £18.00 (per item) as per UK customs & excise
    import regulations.

We have since made alternative arrangements which prevents this happening
    again in the future.

In the meantime, please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience this
    has caused to you. I do hope it will not deter you from shopping with us
    again soon.

Best regards,

CD-WOW! Customer services

---

:confused: I thought these arrangements were already in place.

Anyway - 10/10 to cd-wow. They responded in less than an hour and are refunding the difference. :)

Trust the government to screw everything up - its not enought that I pay income tax, and vat, and car tax, and council tax, and National Insurance and god knows what else - they even want to interfere with what dvds I buy! :mad: :rolleyes:

8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    it would be interesting to know how they manage to do this - surely the same laws on imports apply to everyone?

dean

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever they do/have done, I hope they have found a way to stuff this Government and their ludicrous taxes.

Lex, really pleased for you getting the refund and as you say, CD-Wow really have excelled themselves.

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well, I got clobbered for £7 tax on my first and only use of cd-wow.

and at the time I didn't realise that an email to cd-wow would get it refunded - as there was no indication of this when I purchased.

Given the choice of cd-wow, getting taxed, going to the post office, and then emailing to get it refunded a week or so later, or

Play, for £1-2 more, to the door, I know which I'll be doing.

Isn't online ordering meant to make things easier ?

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It did in your case, and it is generally.

It is the Government that made/makes your life difficult and more costly, not online retailers.

12. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How did it? by making me pay an extra £7 and going to the post office?
    Even the high street HMV would have proved more attractive.

If I had a choice between ordering through cd-wow, or 'Government DVD Warehouse Online' - I would choose cd-wow all the time.

however, if Play have found a way around it, and CD-wow haven't, then Play it is for me.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Customs & Excise did that, not the online retailer.

I got my LOTR EE from CD-Wow in 4 days with no problems or rip-off taxes added.

14. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah - and some online retailers have found a way around it, and some haven't....

I should continue to spend an extra £7 because it is not CD-wow's fault for choosing a business model based around importation? oh, okay.

Great, in that case, I'll ensure me, Lex, and the other people who have started these threads that we should stop complaining, because you're alright. thanks.

Next you'll be telling me the 50p off vouchers are a really good value for customers.

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure how they could be considered 'bad' value.

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok let's get a few things straight

Import duty (VAT in this case) is payable on all items personally imported into the UK unless VAT was paid in another EU country. This has been the case for many years and pre-dates the internet.

There is a threshold of £18 before this kicks in but the EU are lobbying for it's removal - G Brown did not indicate in his pre brudget statement that he was minded to do so & we can expect it to remain.

If you import from many internet dealers they make it clear that no sales tax has been paid - this is why so many disks are cheaper (as well as the strength of sterling and relative costs of living).

AFAIK the only completely on the level way for a company like CD WOW to get around this problem would be to pay VAT somewhere in the EU (I don't know if they do), otherwise they have to run the risk of C&E charging you for the VAT on the import.

This is not an issue of government clobbering us, but merely extracting what has always been considered "fair" - the payment of UK VAT on goods and services (whether VAT is a fair tax is another issue).

Taken to an extreme, I could whinge that I had to pay over £2000 vat when I imported my car - after all the goods came from abroad so why should the goverment benefit from me spending my money in another country?

NB I'm not an apologist for HM goverment, but the law isn't just there to trip up people importing DVDs.

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, yes it is.

VAT + Duty + C&E 'opening' charges.

Sorry, that doesn't provide anything like a 'level' playing field.

Says it all really.

18. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my point was that the goods came to me from sweden so why the customs?
    the EU want us to start paying on under £18.00 so if brown leaves it alone then that is good news for us.

19. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Juboy, you may have misunderstood what I meant about the £18 limit. The EU want it taken away so that all items imported from outside of the EU will be liable to VAT - you will have to pay on all DVDs if they get their way. From what I understand UK gov have decided against not because they don't want the tax but because it will over burden C&E.

Your issue appears to be one that can't be reconciled with the free market stance of the EU - if you pay VAT within its borders that's fine, any external imports have to have VAT paid (otherwise it's anti competitive for EU dealers). The imposition of C&E handling charges theoretically pays for their time and effort and is of no benefit to the treasury as is the admin charge payable to the Royal Mail.

The way I looked on it when I had to pay VAT (plus the handling charge for the mail) was that I had consistently underpaid VAT on many imports, so paying for that one was a small price to pay (I did a quick calc and I reckon that I could have paid the treasury over £100 in VAT under the EU proposal)

20. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't misunderstand, I just think we're viewing the non 'indication' from Mr G Brown as meaning two different things.

To my mind, the fact he ignored the point means that he's almost certain TO go along with the proposals. Mentioning it would only have drawn attention to yet another taxation clobbering from his 'Government'.

21. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm mystified as to how you see this as a tax clobbering issue. Currently you are getting your disks without paying VAT, which is nice. The EU want to stop this as they believe there is an issue over anti competitive practices under the single market. UK gov have made noises that they are unsure about changing the £18 limit due to an increase in workload for an already stretched C&E together with estimates that the increased tax revenues being insignificant compared to increased cost.

VAT is a fact of life introduced many years ago and supported by all potential governing parties. The fact that one can avoid paying the tax should be seen as a blessing. If things change (and I expect the EU to get it's way at some point), then we will be paying what is due, not a new tax - remember what a far better man than I said "Pay unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar", mind you they nailed him to a cross soon afterwards

22. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fail to see why we should pay tax on the cost of the US or Hong Kong mail/postage service.

Sorry, I have absolutely no sympathy for a Government that already takes a conservatively estimated 82% of your gross pay in one form of tax or another.

Especially when they can't provide services equal to 10% of the money they steal from you.

I'd say he'd probably started gaining a few supporters until he came out with that little doozy.

Although, reading the line again, I would imagine that can only have been one of the many later 'additions' to what is supposed to have been said.

23. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bored now, it's starting to read like the stuff that people send to Ceefax letters

24. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Ceefax still going?

25. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well what happens if your packaging is marked with all the red C & E stuff but the postie still delivered it?
    Will they come and get me in the middle of the night for almost £9!!

LIDDERS

26. Jade

Jade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that is known as 'getting away with it'. Yay Liders! :D

27. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just received my little piece of card saying please collect your parcel, Oh and by the way you owe a whopping £12.51. LMAO, I hope they sort this out.

28. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just collected mine form the post office (mine cost more than yours Ripco :confused: ).

Anyway it is postmarked from Sweden :confused: I thought CD-Wow were sending them via Sweden to avoid vat...

PS B.O.B. - WOW ;)

29. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Lex,
    Did cd-wow mark your package with the price you ordered at?
    I'm only asking because I was wondereing if their way around
    custom charges in the future will be by puting a more
    conservative (under £18!) price on all packages.
    Then again, that will probably be illeagal won't it?

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know - I think the customs slip must have been removed. They didn't actually open it, so I guess it must have been marked.

As you say for CD-Wow to put the wrong price down would indeed be illegal/against the rules.