CD WOW £2 Surcharge

M

mar7t1n

CD WOW are now applying a surcharge for items shipped to the UK or Ireland. But what's to stop you saying your deliver address is:

Your address
** ENGLAND **
> Country: France

You have to put your correct credit card address of course for scurity but there's nothing to stop you entering a different delivery address and this is what controls the £2 surcharge.

If anyone tries this and it works let us know.

Yet another CD WOW £2 thread!!

This only relates to CDs, so moving to the Music forum, (where it will probably be deleted, as there are already tons of threads on this subject).

Greg

CD WOW applies th £2 surchase as a result of direct complaint from British Phonographic Industry assoiciation, in which they argue that CD sold to the British public where not coming from a source licensed to sell them to the UK. A properly licensed disks have higher licensing fee and therefore the £2 surcharge.

In the eyes of BPI CD WAW disks are not licensed to be sold to the UK public in a same way that downloading of songs from Kazza is an unlicensed distribution.

This is patriotic and moral issue. Pay extra £2 and support the British music industry.

If you whre to type Country:France and the £2 is not applied what is the point of paid the rest of the price anyway. From the BPI's and legal point of view not payng the extra £2 or downloading it for free is both a case copyright infringement.

Originally posted by Branxx
This is patriotic and moral issue. Pay extra £2 and support the British music industry.

no its not, its the British being ripped off!!

Branxx are you seriously trying to compare downloading mp3s from Kazaa with personal importation of LEGITMATE CDs from outside the EU?

The record labels still get their cut when using CD-WOW!

It is the BPI protecting the price-fixing cartel on CDs which has existing since 1984!

Branxx... What exactly is your position within the BPI ?
I assume you are employed by them, since you are the first person, other than the BPI, who thinks this rip-off is justified.

In any case, if I want to buy a CD from CD-WOW in Hong Kong, recorded by an American artist, what has it got to do with the BPI ? Surely any additional payment should go to the U.S. equivalent.

Oh dear...

What have I started.

Only time will tell what will happen to CD-WOW. All I can say is before I discovered CD-WOW I only treated myself to a CD once in a while after I heard at least half the album off the radio or net and decided I really really liked it.

When I found CD-WOW my attitudes changed. I bought back copies, I stopped asking my friends if I could borrow theirs. I got what I fancied when I fancied it, knowing that it was only £8 (or less) and I could always sell it on ebay if I didn't like it.

But what will I do now that prices are back up. Yes I'll probably start borrowing and only getting what I know is going to be a good album. So in the end the artists will loose out because people like me just won't buy at all at high-street prices.

Sorry music industry - you earn too much as it is.

The issue is not CD-WOW but the notion of deliberately entering incorrect information so to avoid paying a correct license fee. This in essence, although less severe, is the same offence as uploading to Kazza without being authorised by the copyright owner to distribute their work by such means and without the proper charge.

As for BPI, I am not in their employ. BPI’s members have determined that British public should pay £2 extra for the same product. This is not done on the basis that consumer over here somehow has greater benefit from the copyrighted work, but purely on a basis that it can afford to pay higher fee. Current state of the copyright law makes such policy legally enforceable.

My position: if you don’t agree with the BPI’s stand go the full length and use Kazza.

My position: if you don’t agree with the BPI’s stand go the full length and use Kazza. [/B][/QUOTE]

I used to download music from Kazza, then I discovered I could buy reasonably priced cd's from the likes of CDWOW and Play.com so payed for the originals instead.
Ah well, back to downloading it is then, lets go reinstall kazza!

no no no

get diet kaza before you do anything that drastic.

Or at least visit suprnova.org

great bit torrents of plenty of albums! :smashin:

Whilst I acknowledge that the BPI have been very heavy handed in the administering of a levy to product bought outside the EU, part of the CD WOW increase also comes from new VAT rules. So don't let your anger also hide the fact that the government have had their fingers in the pie too.

But it's just like them to hide behind another debate in an attempt to come out smelling of roses.

People who have read my correspondence in the past also know that while I'm not in the pocket of the BPI, I am involved in the recording industry, and do not condone copying or free downloading of copyright material.

But that is a debate that has fully run it's course.....

I am a strong believer in free trade, however, and that means being able to buy a legitimate product, at the cheapest price, wherever that may be sourced from.

So just don't get me started on the regional coding debate!

I think that the majority of the cost from CD WOW will be covered by the details of an extensive news story which was featured on TV and the press late last year.

The government have found a way (isn't it always them) of levying VAT on all goods imported into the uk.

Incidentally the US have adopted the reverse.

That means the importer has to levy a charge and any reasonable costs in the administering of that charge at point of sale for good being imported from outside the UK / EU.

The news at the time reported:-

The European Union has agreed new rules forcing internet retailers based outside the EU to levy value-added-tax (VAT) on sales to customers within the 15-nation bloc.

At present, EU consumers can avoid paying VAT on many products by ordering them online from US-based e-commerce companies.

The online retailer - or 'e-tailer' - will levy VAT on all sales to EU customers at the rate applied by the country it is registered with.

That country will in turn divide the revenues between the other EU nations according to where the sales are made.

National VAT rates vary widely within the EU, ranging from 15% in Luxembourg to 25% in Sweden.

The new VAT regime will not only apply to goods bought online but also apply to sales of products downloaded from the internet, including software and online film or radio subscription.

Customs and Excise note 702 has been updated to cover it.

Stand by for the boring bit......

"Import VAT is the transaction tax levied on imported goods. Goods are treated as imported when:

they arrive in the UK directly from outside the EC and you enter them for home use in the UK, or customs duty otherwise becomes chargeable on them.

In short, the moment when customs duty is due on the goods is the time of importation for VAT purposes. Import VAT includes VAT due on goods imported for the purpose of business, private importations and importations by partially exempt traders."

In short not the record industry to blame for once, but that nice Mr Brown!

Hope it clarifies things.

what if I want to buy a non-British version import (like some that have extra / diffrent tracks) that wouldn't be sold in UK anyway?

Should this attract a levy when it isn't a uk available disc?

Karma - I am hardly a fan of this government but that is a huge pile of BS.

The thrust of the BPI legal case is the right of the copyright holder to dictate where their goods are sold (Levi Strauss v Tesco). Taxation has no part to play in this argument at all.

My recollection of the story you report is to do with the supply of intangible items such as software not goods. It is impossible for C&E to charge duty on software downloads since there is no physical item passing into this country.

From what I can tell this hasn't got off the ground since I have downloaded several (legit) items of software from the states recently without any mention of VAT.

Your quote of note 702 does not change in any way the practice of charging VAT at the time goods arrive in the uk. There is no change in the £18 exemption. Any change in that figure will be made as part of the Finance Act - so watch Mr Brown in mid march to see if there are any changes.

Say what you like about the gov't on many issues but don't blame them for this one - it's all down to corporate greed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom