CD Upgrade. Half size CD Player Recommendations.

wezzy

Novice Member
Hi,
I currently have a Rega Apollo R CD Player. This is paired with an Exposure 3010s2d integrated amp. and a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty speakers. Due to space restrictions, i am looking at half sized or smaller than the standard sized CD players. The maximum width would be 350mm/ 14 inches. What would forum members recommend.
Thanks

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Cyrus CDI is the obvious choice. Or there is the Project CD Box DS for around half the price or the DS2 halfway in between. The Denon DCD50 fits the bill. Or you could get the cheap Tangent CDII with your choice of DAC.

However, what is it about the Apollo you don’t like or is it broken and needs replacing?

Last edited:

wezzy

Novice Member
Cyrus CDI is the obvious choice. Or there is the Project CD Box DS for around half the price or the DS2 halfway in between. The Denon DCD50 fits the bill. Or you could get the cheap Tangent CDII with your choice of DAC.
Thanks for the reply. I will check them out.
Cheers.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Ninitronics have a refurb Cyrus CDI on eBay at the moment.

And Sevenoaks in Cheltenham have a boxed new one on clearance.

wezzy

Novice Member
Thanks again. The Cyrus CDI was one i was looking at, i will check these two out.
Cheers, i appreciated you imput.

Mr Edwards

.......and I was just wondering, is the Cyrus CDi a better CD player than the Rega Apollo R?
What are peoples thought on this?

gibbsy

You are limited size wise and at almost twice the cost of the Rega you would hope the Cyrus CDi would produce a better quality. I've listened to the Cyrus but it was a means of playing discs to audition headphones so perhaps not paying the attention I should have. Good detail I do remember that. Not listened to the Rega. Neither player would really have got my attention as I need SACD playback which both lack.

Full size definitely out as there are some very good players now available for round the cost of the Cyrus?

wezzy

Novice Member
Yes if a full size CD player was on my list, then i would go for the Saturn R. Without investing in a hifi rack, and relocating everything, it has to be a maximum width of 350mm.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom