1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Please enlighten me. Just how much affect on the sound quality would different cdp's have if you are using a DAC? Would a £400 player wipe the floor with a £100 one or does the fact your using an outboard source to process the signal negate the difference.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Mike,
    Just done a similar experiment using a DAC 64. Put it this way i'm now the proud owner of a Sony LS755P DVD player (RRP - £99). Compared to a £1200 CD player using the same DAC, I couldn't discern any improvement, in fact I found the DVD player slightly better on certain tracks. It's not (Quite) in the same league as a £4500 Chord Blu transport but it's pretty damn good.
    My advice: Stick with what you have!

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's for that Knightshade, I intend replacing my current dvd player and as I use a dac I thought I would also use it as a transport for audio. I have tried the Pioneer 575a, did'nt like the sound. Now wondering about either the CA 540d or the Limit 900se, any though's on these two?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    What DAC are you using?

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13362

Do a search above on CD transports as well theres years worth of material on this very forum, all I can say dude is that I have had many a run in with slef professed golden/bat eared audiophiles whom hear "a butterfly flapping 3 miles yonder" Im pretty glad to say that Im still amazed at how a good DAC can sound, as heard off different transports, does not happen for me TBH. YMMV.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got a Dac Magic 2 at the moment but one of the imputs has just gone down on that so I've ordered a M Audio SUPER DAC 2496. I know it's not in the big boy league but it is within my current budget. I am leaning towards going along the DVD route, would just be nice to be able to hear the Limit before jumping in. I have had some problems with CA stuff, such as the dac (though it is old) and one of their Dab radios so this is putting me of the 540d.

7. candleman

candleman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have have compared a ML 37 and Meridian 602 with my tosh sd510 put thru a Bel Canto dac 1.1, the ML 37 slaughters the rest, but I have to say I wasn't missing to much with the tosh agianst the Meridian , but wouldn't want to listen to the tosh full time, a bit lacking all round IMHO

8. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mike-M might be interested to know this.

In an attempt to gather together information scattered over the Internet about M-Audio SuperDAC 2496, an email group has just been created.
    Couple of easy mods with photos and other info there already.

Please feel free to post messages, info on modifications, tweaks, ideas, pictures and files.
    Any information you have on this DAC or related to it will be greatly appreciated.

To visit the group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496

Group Email Addresses:
    To post message: M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496@yahoogroups.com
    To subscribe: M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I checked with the suppliers today who have said that M-Audio have discontinued the SuperDAC and replaced it with the Flying Cow.. Apparently the internals are the same but there are added in/outputs which mainly apply to use in a recording studio. Anyway, I'll let you know my though's when I get it.

10. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Flying Cow model has been around for a long time. SuperDac 2496 is much better, though it is discontimued. Stocks still avilable and can be bought for lower prices making it an even better bargain than before. I don't know which country you are in but there is a list of some stockists at M-Audio SuperDac email group at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496
    In the files section.

You will also find a link there that will help you chose a transport or CDP.
    Much more detailed, comprehensive and balanced info than you find in the forums.