1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Speed Question

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by targetdummy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. targetdummy

targetdummy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using SS 3.0, when I import a CD onto the PC, it seems to take longer than I thought it would. I have a 52x24x52x Sony CD writer and a 15 track CD (total playing time 68 mins) can take up to 6 minutes to import at 256kbs Atrac3plus. Is this usual or am I being too impatient?

Thanks

btw, I have the Sony HD3 and have encountered no problems with it (after I did the EU volume thing). Very pleased with design, battery life, sound quality, controls etc. :D

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I think that sounds about the right kind of time to import a CD to be honest mate. A lot of other things can influence the time it takes like computer specifications and what other processes are running at the same time.

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    6 minutes for a 68 minute CD is still an average of about 12x which is respectable. 52x speed drives don't read 52x across the entire disk only the outermost edge and that's for data. It's down to the particular drive, but in general most 52x speed drives start at 14x and gradually speed up as they go outwards. DAE (audio extraction) tends to be a slower for accuracy reasons.

You also need to factor in the CPU overhead of compressing the data. Ripping CDs using iTunes to 192Kbps AAC on my now elderly 1.8GHz P4 is CPU limited and takes about 6-7 minutes per CD.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Also @ Atrac3plus 256 = largest file size so will take longer. But SQ is worth it. Also do you have CD smoothing on in ur options? This slows recording down as well.

N.B. I have found that sometimes there are errors in tracks - a jolt or skip lasting for 1 -2 seconds. Annoying. No it isn't the player skipping. Still does it when it is stationary. Corrected with CD smoothing on albeit = longer recording times.

So relax. U don't want above to happen to u do u? Patience is a virtue. :D