Question CD Sound on Hard drive & Media Player

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for some advice please I ow a Egreat A8 player with internal 7TB hard drive.I have all my Blu Ray films on there the picture and sound quality is the same as the original Blu Ray! Now I would like to add cds to it but do not want to lose any of the sound quality as played though my cd player which is a Arcam CD92 could I get the sound quality of the Arcam on the hard drive or am I expecting to much if not can I get fairy good sound from media player. If so what sort of software do i use to get the best sound I can get. I have got to admit there is such a lot of stuff out there it is hard to know what to go for. So if someone out there can help chose which is the best way to go like I have heard about this looseness music what is that? Just to add when I done my films I used MAKE MKV

Use software like EAC or dbpoweramp to rip CD's to the flac audio format which will keep the audio quality intact with no loss of quality.

If the software on your egreat a8 is any good it should decode the .flac audio files as PCM audio (no quality loss) if for some reason it cannot decode flac to pcm then you could try alac/m4a instead which is Apple lossless but this means using iTunes to rip your CD's.

It may also be possible for the media player to play an .iso image of the CD but I'm not familiar with it.

Use software like EAC or dbpoweramp to rip CD's to the flac audio format which will keep the audio quality intact with no loss of quality.

If the software on your egreat a8 is any good it should decode the .flac audio files as PCM audio (no quality loss) if for some reason it cannot decode flac to pcm then you could try alac/m4a instead which is Apple lossless but this means using iTunes to rip your CD's.

It may also be possible for the media player to play an .iso image of the CD but I'm not familiar with it.
Thanks once again next for the info you seem to know everything is there anything you do not know . What about chatlng up a nice looking dolly birds like the ones that where on F1 [emoji41] [emoji2]

Careful chaz, you are taking your own thread off topic :oops::p

I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip my CD's but find using Lame MP3 encoder gives good enough quality for most things and is likely to take less space on the HDD than FLAC. But MP3 is lossy so it is down to personal preference, although I doubt any media player will give you the Arcam sound unless using an Arcam DAC. So you will need to try it and see what you think.

Here is a guide for setting up EAC with Lame. It looks a bit complex to start with but not too bad once you get going and you can always ask here if you need any help
EAC and Lame - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

And here is a guide for EAC with FLAC
EAC and FLAC - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Also worth having a look in the dedicated music streamers section of the forum as many question you may have are likely to have already been answered
Music Streamers

Mark.

Thank You Mark you & next10 again you always come up with the right answers will now stick to the topic (What was it now:confused::p)

Last edited:
Wasn't the topic long the lines of........

....oh yeah it was about ripping CD's wasn't it
Being careful as my wife is looking over my shoulder :oops: :suicide:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mark.

Will Do Same here Mark My wife is always looking over my shoulder just like yours Our wife's are bully's that what they are Us poor guys can not do anything unless we get there permission!We can not even go down the Pub without them wanting to come to and nagging:(:facepalm: because we are drinking to fast!:laugh::beer::suicide: Is nothing sacred anymore

They're like a pet parrot that sit's on your shoulder - except it's a Vulture.... :devil:

Yeh waiting for you to die so they can get the insurance:D:laugh::rotfl::clap:

Right I have done some thinking ( which is very unusual for me :D) if i copy my cds to the hard drive and whant to sound like my cd player i was thinking of getting a DAC between my media player and what ever i connected the other end to I have 2 usb ports on the media if that helps would this work and how much would the cost be for the DAC etc

I believe your media player has an optical & digital coax audio outputs. Use one of these to connect to the DAC.
To get the Arcam sound you are likely to need an Arcam DAC, and they are not cheap
Arcam irDAC-II DAC

Or bypass the eGreat altogether and get the Arcam music streamer
Arcam rPlay Wireless Music Streamer

Mark.

Thanks Mark i Think I will leave it at it is Jesus did not know they where at that price:eek:

just connect the media player up to your amp first and see how it sounds.....

Yeh waiting for you to die so they can get the insurance:D:laugh::rotfl::clap:
"Waiting?" ......I only eat takeaways at home now since she saw my last work pension statement and the 4xSalary bit for Death In Service.... :eek:

I know what you mean thats why us men watch our back all the time you never know when the Sahib will pounce

If you want to hear what your PC can do with music, use a program named “Fidelizer” (read the instructions before usage), purchase a DAC which works with a USB. Something similar to the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC.

Ensure you are using one of the programs mentioned above for archiving/ripping your CD’s

After this, you’ll put your CD player to bed

If you want to hear what your PC can do with music, use a program named “Fidelizer” (read the instructions before usage), purchase a DAC which works with a USB. Something similar to the Musical Fidelity V90 DAC.

Ensure you are using one of the programs mentioned above for archiving/ripping your CD’s

After this, you’ll put your CD player to bed
Thank you very much for that because I have top end HiFi system which I am very proud off I want to put All my CDs on to my media player so I can chose my cds from the screen rather looking along the shelf's trying to read the small print and hurting my back. I am getting on in years 69 this year I see it is not to badly priced either. So how do you set it up my Media player is a Egreat A8 which has two USB ports on the back one is USB 3 the other USB 2 My Receiver pre amp is a Rotel RSP 1069 which has no USB socket but the will be replaced 2019 when I get back from Malaysia Here is the Manual if it helps http://rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RSP-1069-OM.pdf

If you have a high end hifi, then look at a better DAC. the stereo side of my system is pushing over 10k if I had to replace it :eek:. It's taken me years to find the sound I'm happy with and a number of years ago, I started to dabble with PC audio.

I started with jRiver which I still use today for the remote control app, I switch everything off inside it including this program, so as not to alter whats being delivered to my DAC, I use a Teac UD-501 (replacement 505 coming soon), with everything switched off too.

Pace, clarity, depth and control are quite amazing. I've yet to hear a CD Player come close to what you can achieve with a little messing around and some good programs to sort "windows" out which remove the unwanted stuff that we never use.

I once owned a CD36 and it was a fair CD player, yet when I added the Teac, it added Pace, clarity, depth and control which had been a little reserved, I then plugged my laptop into the Teac, used a cheap £1.99 printer USB lead to the DAC and played the same track from my laptop. I never switched the CD Player back on again and upgraded the USB cable, built myself a high end media player and the rest is history.

Fidelizer is one of those odd programs that you experience like a fantastic cable you hear for the first time. Once you get it, you never look back or listen to anyone else contradicting it as they just don't understand or get what music is really about and that's enjoyment

...you could try alac/m4a instead which is Apple lossless but this means using iTunes to rip your CD's.
Actually, you could avoid the use of iTunes by using EAC to rip to FLAC (or WAV) and using FFMPEG to convert to M4A. Or better still, set up FFMPEG as an external encoder and rip directly to M4A/ALAC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom