CD sound from my tosh 220e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ewin, Mar 21, 2003.

1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me when playing normal cd`s should i have the dvd player going through the L+R rca outputs or the digital feed to the amp to give the best sound for music as i heard that phono cables are the best from people with cd players .

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    It depends how good the Dacs (Digital to Analogue converters) are in the Amp, As normally they tend to be better in the DVD/Cd players.

The only real way is to try both and see which you prefer !

3. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ewin,

On view often stated on these Forums is that you can use a separate DAC (digital/analogue converter) between the dvd player and the amp to improve stereo replay of music CDs:

DVD player -digitalconnect->DAC-analoguephono->amp

ditton

PS I posted a similar reply earlier but someone, mistakenly in my opinion, deleted it.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Guilty :suicide: . I tidied the thread and that post was deleted erroneously.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lynx, I appreciate the acknowledgement. No harm done.

erin, I understand where you are coming from. modern dvd players are good (but not perfect) at playing the CD and picking up the digital signal, but cannot compete directly with equivalent priced CD players for 'musicality'. The latter is a product mainly of the DAC, the pre/power amp and the speakers.

As Carlos suggests, both the dvd player (or a CD player) and the AVamp have a DAC onboard. Without expert knowledge, I would not want to hazard a guess which is better. My experience with the Tosh SD220 and the Tosh SD 510 is that there was not much difference in stereo 'musicality' when connected by digital or analogue with my Denon AVR1602. Neither was as good, however, as an older CD player and an older AV amp (fed by analogue) in another room, with better accoustics. So I started on a journey, not yet completed to improve the quality of stereo music. (You could search on 'musicality' to view the long thread, and to me intresting, that resulted from my posting.)

I made a huge leap by getting a separate stereo amp, and another by getting a dedicated CD player. However, it is plausable that I could have achieved the second leap by adding a separate DAC, and continuing to play Cds on the dvd player.

If this all takes a while to sink in, dont worry. Its taken me a while ...

ditton